topic title: Synaptic ...
ponse
It is SYNAPTIC the B E S T gui package manager ? I think so !
masinick
What is"best" is always a matter of opinion. The Synaptic package manager has been around quite a long time, so it's well worked out, is consistent in what it can and can't do, and it generally works the same way that dpkg and apt-get, the traditional command line interface packages that form the nucleus of package handing work. So it's"one of the best" when stability and consistency are most important.

Some people want newer, simpler, or more intuitive interfaces, and that's when the debates and discussions arise.

From the standpoint of antiX, synaptic is a worthwhile choice;"the best" is what gets the job done without introducing problems; synaptic would fit that requirement, particularly in a"stable" antiX configuration.
ponse wrote:It is SYNAPTIC the B E S T gui package manager ? I think so !
boombaby
Are we cheering, or commenting?

If commenting...

post47849.html#p47849

If cheering...

Yay! I use it all the time.

Regards,
aka boombaby
fatmac
Even when I run a GUI, I use apt, so no, not as far as I am concerned. __{{emoticon}}__
wildstar84
I love Synaptic in that it shows a list of all pkgs and their versions that are upgradable, from which I can pick the ones I want to update. I just wish I / they ould get rid of this stupid useless warning box I get after updates that says:

W: Can't drop privileges for downloading as file '/root/.synaptic/tmp//tmp_cl' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)