topic title: Synaptic
adstaryoung
Hi again, how do I increase the size of my cache? This error came up... I was able to get into Synaptic, and I then added a few repositories then something bad happened when I tried to refresh Synaptic so that the new repositories would appear.

This arror appeared when I refreshed Synaptic after I added some respositories.

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Please increase the size of APT::Cache-Limit. Current value: 20000000. (man 5 apt.conf)
E: Error occurred while processing gappletviewer-4.3 (NewFileVer1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
rokytnji
__{{emoticon}}__ You need to increase the APT::Cache-Limit value in the /etc/apt/apt.conf file

mine is set at 50000000.
OU812
Thanks. I had that error too and thought it was due to some transition in the repos.

john
adstaryoung
How do you do this...increase the APT::Cache-Limit value in the /etc/apt/apt.conf file?
Do I open a terminal and type /etc/apt/apt.conf than change a setting? (I'm a noob)
Thanks rokytnji
plvera
In a terminal, type su then your password to get root status. Then use leafpad to edit the file. Again in the terminal type leafpad /etc/apt/apt.conf
This will bring up leafpad (an editor). Change the size to whatever you want (or was recommended). Save and that's it. Maybe reboot. Not sure about that though.
I hope this helps.
Pedro
adstaryoung
Thanks plvera, Will give it a go tonight. I'm sure this will fix it.
adstaryoung
plvera, thanks for your input. You fixed up this computer for me. Know anything about sound cards and getting them working...thats my next problem, and then antix will be perfect for this toshiba tecra 8000. Almost as old as me! Look out for my next post