coyotito
In antiX 13 x64beta base. But the same thing happens in Wheezy RC1 64bit.
Have tried several installs.
Segfault/crash on clicking apply changes.

Anyone seen this?
rokytnji
Might try apt-get --purge remove synaptic maybe but I see you have tried several installs. Running Synaptic in terminal tells you nothing I guess. Have you looked in /var/log for any hints also?

I don't run Synaptic in base 64bit but just live with apt-get and Gdebi in it. Otherwise. Synaptic works just fine for me in my 32bit installs, so no I have not seen it.

I've been running 8.5 AntiX on my EEE 701SD for ages now and only update kernels and dist-upgrade. I probably need to try out AntiX 13 on it eventually but I have it tuned in so durn good on 8.5.
rokytnji
Did a quick test for you.

rokytnji
2nd test on 64bit

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: biker Kernel: 3.8.3-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-13-beta1_x64-base Ahmad Sami 7 February 2013
Maybe my install procedure is different than yours. I install
Suggested packages:
xapian-tools dwww apt-xapian-index

Recommended packages:
software-properties-gtk
also with the synaptic install.

coyotito
Thanks, will try those packages. got a little busy

I get only segmentation fault in terminal. also in Wheezy RC1. Could simply be due to localization, f.ex in Xubuntu nm-applet wokrs badly because they have messed with scripts, tried to make it show more info in many languages. Must be a small error, they would not release RC1 with a non-working synaptic.
coyotito
32 vs 64 bit, maybe I don't need 64 bit on my machine?
It's an AMD 3.2 ghz from 2009 with 4gb ram. Maybe most of that ram gets used by 32 bit linux?

This release is beta it seems, the machine turned itself off a while ago while I was using it.
coyotito
Other problems I could mention are that the windows entry in grub2 does not boot, gives some crap message about
device error. Installed lilo (had to get rid of UUID of course). Have had this on 2 machines, in A12 and 13.

And nm-applet does not find my simple Huawei e220 modem which I have used for ca 5 years with no problems. wvdial works fine.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
nm-applet is not installed.
Yes it is a beta as advertised.

Will try to fix the windows entry in grub.
coyotito
It's great for a beta, the wheezy RC1 is no better at all, seems to me they have a few things to iron out yet.
Grub2 is a piece of crap in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure now the synsptic prob is localization. The terminal says 'invalid UTF-8 string passed to libpango' before Synaptic goes down the toilet.

so could try with ISO locale or US just to see
coyotito
well-known bug in synaptic and other programs it seems.
coyotito
Has been fun to try this out -but now the HD broke on my desktop pc, the win partition.
So busy putting xp (gaming only) and Kanotix CEBIT 2013 on new HD. This is based on Debian Stable but with
Steam preinstalled and some bits bleeding edge (wine and developement libs) for gaming needs i think.
Comes with nvidia driver preinstalled and quite often updated it seems. 'Kano' had a for me impressive Grub2
fix command for using nvdia not nouveau. Worked like a charm. antiX live USB is a great tool for the process of moving files from old hd
to new and good to have for finding out what network adapter, mobo I have so xp drivers could be found

I prefer stable, on another desktop i just run antiX 8.5 and Squeeze, which gives me all i need
-I could run this for the next 2 years. Rock-solid. Installed it because I had the CD and there was so much software on it,
my mobile net is rather slow in there, big downloads/upgrades best avoided.

quote anti:
nm-applet is not installed.

I installed it, in 8.5 this worked fine, not so easy in this beta. You may get problems when other solutions are preinstalled I guess.
coyotito
same prob in Kanotix 2013, prerelease for CEBIT --this distro keeps to the stable Debian cycle for it's main releases.

So: it's a Wheezy issue that no doubt will be fixed before that goes stable.