mroot
Hi-

I ran into a problem after doing an update with smxi. The menu entry for Synaptic in fluxbox no longer works. Synaptic still works fine when opened from a root terminal. Both the entries for Synaptic in fluxbox-->Applications-->Preferences are still present (I usually have 2 entries one that works and one that doesn't on my system). But now neither works. Does anyone know what happened?

-Mike
afab4
mroot wrote:Hi-

I ran into a problem after doing an update with smxi. The menu entry for Synaptic in fluxbox no longer works. Synaptic still works fine when opened from a root terminal. Both the entries for Synaptic in fluxbox-->Applications-->Preferences are still present (I usually have 2 entries one that works and one that doesn't on my system). But now neither works. Does anyone know what happened?

-Mike
The upgrade changed your /usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop file to call synaptic using pksu.
To change this, open synaptic.desktop in a text editor as root.
Change the entry near the end of the configuration to

Code: Select all

Exec=gksu synaptic
mroot
Your change worked perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

-Mike
skidoo
2 entries one that works and one that doesn't
Earlier, I thought 2 entries displayed in the menu b/c the
debian package maintainer declared 2 categories in the
Categories=
line of the .desktop file

Recently I discovered that those dual menu entries are a result of the package maintainer providing 2 separate .desktop files.
(the exec line for one of them states kdsuss, for kde users)
(without kde, we don't have kdsuss installed, so that launcher doesn't work for us)
Although that kde-specific .desktop file includes a"onlyShowIn=KDE" directive, apparently fluxbox (or the antix script which"updates" fluxbox menu) fails to abide that directive.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Actually Debian package provides 2 .desktop files, one for kde and one for 'generic' use. Both do not work on antiX since we do not come with all the needed policykit crap. (which are not listed as depends for synaptic) So we have our own .desktop file that calls gksu synaptic. Same is true for gparted.
This is the default for antiX-12 and the 12.5 alphas