zarg2
I suggest giving MX14 it's own listing at distrowatch vice having it look like a new release of Antix. This would allow some specific promotion of MX14. I love both OS but think MX14 has a chance to be a big player as it is entering at a time when XP is going away. MX14 has the advantage of being very user freindly and works pretty much OOTB(the excption is I would not have Qupzuilla as the default browser). Hopefully Deimodo and some of the other reviewers will review MX14 and get the word out about this elegant, usefull distro; great job to all on the Dev team.
dolphin_oracle
The main reason MX isn't listed seperately on DW is that DW wouldn't but an announcement in the main feed that way. To get an announcement, it had to be related to aan existing distro (MEPIS or antiX), and since its built on antiX for the most part, the team went that route with the listing. I may have a detail or two wrong here, but the gist is correct.

I think DWs point is that they don't want to list and announce a bunch of 1-shot distros like they did in the old days (anybody remember wolvix?). Now, get another release under its belt, and maybe MX becomes its own thing in DW's eyes. Maybe not a disto per se, but a community respin of antiX, similar to how a whole bunch of 'buntu's are listed now.
zarg2
ah, O.K. well hopefully MX14 gets some reveiws that drive people to check it out(a distrowatch weekly quicklook would be nice). MX14 is IMHO a different experience than Antix. I love 13.2 on my old laptop (presario 2100-AthlonXP-2800). I tried other distro's(SolydX, Sparkylinux, Fedora 20) but always went back to Antix on the laptop cause of pure speed. On my media server (Dell 4700 P$ 2.80 GHZ, 1.5G ram) MX14 gives me the stability of Antix/Wheezy with a"prettier" DE. MX14 looks particularly nice on large screens. The snapshot app makes it relatively easy to set up a particular spin9media server) and make it portable so it can be replicated. My buddy saw my set up last night and we are going to install a snapshot on his media server this weekend. So far MX14 seems to have (4me) the perfect balance of perfomance/presentation; it will be the first distro I install on any repaired/salvaged computers I work on from now on with 13.2 as the fall back for older hardware. I salvage old systems, repair them and donate them to schools/charities in the Phillipines so the DEv teams work on Antix/MX14 greatly aids my efforts cause I know I can give them a solid system to work with.
fatmac
@zarg2
Good to hear you're recycling old machines to new homes, keep up the good work.
zarg2
fatmac wrote:@zarg2
Good to hear you're recycling old machines to new homes, keep up the good work.
I hate to see old systems go to waste. just because the standard is bloated OS's on faster hardware doesn't mean we should trash working systems. My media server was literally pulled out of a dumpster and i love that old warrior. I have even rescued an old laptop that had a crappedout hdd caddy by using Tinycore on a cd with persistence using a USB like an HD; my teenager thught it was"cool" so he used it for 2 years before the power supply died.

I think Linux provides a means to allow those with limited resources access to the web. Projects like Antix/MX14, Tinycore, Puppy and others allow folks to get older hardware running at a reasonable level of performance. IMHO Linux will never get a huge share of the developed worlds desktops or laptops since folks that have $$$ will just buy the latest greatest thing they are sold. They poor kids in the Phillipines that I try to help are happy to get any think that will help themstudy/get more information access; I think this is a common sentiment among the poor in societies that see the value of education.

For those interested in recycling old hardware bestbuy and other retailers have sites where the sell bulk lots of returned or damaged units; I get a lot of laptops that just need new HDD's that way. I also hit a lot of flea markets and yard sales. I try to average no more than $75 dollars invested into a repair and typically can get a laptop up and running for about $25 for the unit/20-30 in parts and then my time ti install OS and test-well worth my time if the system is then used for education/charity work.

for those working on projects like those i listed and others don't be discouraged by the low percentage of users VS Apple/Windows, what matters is that your products are installed by those that heve a real need for them and otherwise would not have access to the web. Even a small difference in the availability of resources to those in need has the potential for huge gains. the child that benefits from enhanced education due to your efforts has a markedly better chance for a positive direction in life. the work done on what many outside the Linux community would call"insignifigant" projects does signifiganltly, positively affect the lives of children in need.
zarg2
I need to spell cheeck mre often, lol! or type slower.