Strange Wifi problem

abda2t
Hi,

I'm using AntiX 11 for quite a while on my Thinkpad X31 with an Intel ProWireless 2200 and it worked fine.
But at some time it began loosing the connection to my AP. And now it can connect, gets an IP and immediately afterwards it throws the IP away without any visible message. The only message that appears in /var/log/messages is about link for eth1 being not ready.
But what makes it strange is the following.
When I connect to another AP at an other location it works fine.
If I boot my X31 with an other live distro it works fine.
With the ethernet cable plugged in it keeps it's assigned address.
The same behavoiour is with AntiX 13 booted from an USB media as a live version.
Any clues?
Thx
Stefan
dolphin_oracle
I had a intereference issue with a neighbor here recently. THe routers were both set to auto-adjust their channels, and they both were. The problem was that everytime the channel changed, it disconnected the wireless computers. Or at least some of them. A couple of the laptops were more tolerant of the momentary disconnection. I dual boot my lappy with windows and antix. antix was less tolerant than windows, but my wife's windows thinkpad was less tolerant than any other os/lappy combo in the house. Once I disabled the auto switching on the router, the problem went away. I had this happen on both a netgear wndr37000 and a western digital mylife n600 that I bought to replace the netgear becasue I thought the netgear was going bad. Both are quite happily running now that the interference problem is fixed.

I should note this occured for me on the 2.4 ghz. band. Anything that could access on the 5ghz band was unaffected.

What was funny is that originally I thought my wife was doing something to her laptop. Then I thought her hardware was dying, so I bought an external usb wifi adapter. That worked for a while, and then it started showing problems. THen her Iphone had issues. All the while, my android phone, my work lappy, and my 2 test lappys worked fine. Then one day, nothing worked. Replaced the router, that worked for about a month, and then nothing worked again. Now that the interference problem is fixed, all the original hardware is back to working fine.

Don't know if this is your problem, or even related, but it couldn't hurt to check.
abda2t
Hi dolphin_oracle,

thanks for your answer but that's not the source of my problem.
My AP, an Easybox 803, is set to a fixed channel after I scanned the neighbourhood to select the channel with the least interference.
I think the reason must be somewhere in AntiX because other distro booted from live media don't tend to this behaviour.
My X31 runs Antix for quite a while very smoothly with good performance but at some point it started with thist strange thing.

Best regards

Stefan
rokytnji
If me. I would

Code: Select all

cp / etc/resolv.conf / etc/resolv.confbk
To copy and backup original. Then delete the / etc/resolv.conf to see if it will make a new one.
You have the / etc/resolv.conf.bk as a backup if it does not.

A forum bug requires me to hit the space bar between / and etc so if you copy and paste mt command. Use the backspace key to move etc next to the /.

This may not fix nothing but troubleshooting goes by one step at a time.
abda2t
Hi rokytnji,

the problem is not that I'm not able to resolve addresses.
The interface literaly looses its IP address as if it has not yet been configured.
Today a colleague advised to assign a static IP to that interface.
I'll give it a try this evening.
Dave
Are you using any type of encryption?
Likewise is the other access points that work using any type of encryption?

Another point are you using wicd or ceni for the wireless connection?
Have you tried both?
abda2t
Hey Dave,

yes, I'm using WPA2 encryption on my access point.
But that hasn't been a problem up to the time when my problems started.
With other clients I'm not experiencing any problems.
It establishes a connection and it gets its IP address but after a few seconds the interface loses the IP address.
I even tried it with AntiX13 from an USB drive but it stays the same.
With an other distribution such as Knoppix for instance it works fine.
rokytnji
With other clients I'm not experiencing any problems.
I'm using WPA2 encryption on my access point.
But that hasn't been a problem up to the time when my problems started.
My 701SD started giving bad password in Wicd and was the only wireless Computer in my place with AntiX 13 installed with wicd that exhibited this behaviour.
I can't use it right now as I am putting it up for sale and installed Exton Slack0 Puppy Linux on it and installed Icewm along side JWM and themed Icewm to look
like Windows so I can sell it easier. This tactic worked reak well when I sold the 900 and told the buyer.

"You won't need a antivirus program or malware program running on this OS."

Anyhows. I don't believe it was a network issue or Wind or Ceni.s fault or AntiX at fault. I have a feeling it was a driver issue instead.
I never had a problem with it recently either till lately but I fought that baby before.

antix-8-5-asus-eeepc-701sd-rtl8187-solved-t2610.html

You'll see in that thread to try out a liqourix kernel instead so if ya have the room. Do a smxi and do a liqourix install and see if that improves the situation.
Since you are running AntiX 11. I run AntiX 11 Base on my motorcycle shop computer with a wireless usb and have been updating the kernel on it as a regular thing doing testing
for Anti and the crew when new AntiX kernels were supplied for testing during the AntiX 11 and 12 qnd 13 phase.