John
Hi all:
I am having a problem with X Windows on my Laptop a IBM T20 PIII 512 Ram 60 Gbt HD
Recently I have installed the following Linux distrabutions Flux Ubuntu, Debian stable net install, Debian testing net install, AntiX M7.2, AntiX M7.5 testing ( now on system ) and I have had the same problem with all of them.
From a fresh New install I reboot the system and log on at login screen and here is my problem at least 60% of the time the computer will attempt to start X with the result of a totally black screen, With the only option to press the power button until the system powers off. Without making any changes I turn on the system and log on as user and X Windows will come up into Flux box as it should. But in most cases this will require several attempts before X and Flux box come up.

I am a new by so I am probably missing something obvious, I have look on various forums and Google and have not found a solution. If anyone can help me with this I will be extremely grateful

Thank You
PS If i have posted this in the wrong area I apologize.
eriefisher
Do you know what the graphics chip is in this machine. It could just be a driver issue?
John
eriefisher

Thank you for your reply to my problem
To answer your question the graphics processor is an internal S3 Savage iX8 8 Mb
I have attempted to use Linux on the laptop in the past, about two years ago, and have not had this problem before with it.
I will be glad to follow any suggestions you may have to correct this issue.
John
It just occurred to me I don't know how to check and see which video driver is being loaded. How do I do that?
Thanks
OU812
I don't know if you have a problem that is specific to your video card, but here is a question: Is your graphics card working properly when using the live cd? If so, do

control panel > hardware > configure x server

after you enter the root password, you'll see that the first tab has an option to copy the current xconfig to your hard drive. This may help.

john
eriefisher
If you look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the Section"Device" you should see the card and the driver in use.
OU812
If you want a listing of your hardware, open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

hal-device-manager
you'll get a really nice gui of your hardware with specs.

john
lucky9
Have you tried the VESA boot option with the LiveCD and then use the repair function in the X-Windows Assistant?
John
eriefisher
If you look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the Section"Device" you should see the card and the driver in use.
-----
I need to look again at this file, this time with my eyes open.

OU812
I don't know if you have a problem that is specific to your video card, but here is a question: Is your graphics card working properly when using the live cd? If so, do
control panel > hardware > configure x server
after you enter the root password, you'll see that the first tab has an option to copy the current xconfig to your hard drive. This may help.
----------
It did not occur to me but in all the live Cd's I tried the X Windows worked properly but not when I installed the OS on the machine. I did not see any thing wrong with the Xconfig, but I will look again, and follow your suggestion about copying the Xconfig file.
---------
If you want a listing of your hardware, open a terminal and enter
Code:
hal-device-manager
you'll get a really nice gui of your hardware with specs.
---------
Thank you for the tip on hal-device-manager I was not aware of this.

lucky9
Have you tried the VESA boot option with the LiveCD and then use the repair function in the X-Windows Assistant?
-------
No I have not used the repar function in X-Windows Assistant, as I was not aware of it, but I will do so if needed.

Thank you all for your help I will proceed to follow your guidance and will let you all know the results.
John
John
Hi All:
Sorry I have been gone for a bit.
To bring you all up to date I have been able to fix the display issue on my IBM Laptop

To fix the display issue edit /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file as followes:
Add to Devices Section
Option"BusType""PCI"
Option"DmaMode""None"
It apears to be an issue with the Savage graphics cards
further info:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_w"
linktext was:"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_w"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... tem_lockup:

Thank you all for your help, I hope this helps someone as well.
John
anticapitalista
Site Admin
That will certainly be of help. Thanks for sharing, John.