topic title: State of antiX-M11
anticapitalista
Site Admin
This is just to let you know where we are at as far as antiX-M11 release is concerned.

We have been close to release a few times over the last 2 months or so, but some changes in Debian Testing meant that release was delayed even though there are antiX iso files in the released folder at mepisimo.

Lately there have been 2 issues that still affect release.

1. xserver-xorg-video-nv has been dropped for xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Debian Testing. This has many advantages, one being that nouveau is able to play full screen avi video in mplayer, nv can't.
However, at the moment, nouveau doesn't set screen resolution correctly (by default) and tweaking is necessary.
Now, these are really issues for live use and not installed as anyone witha fairly recent nvidia card can install the proprietry drivers via smxi and all is well.

2. Toram option when running live cd/dvd issues. Again this issue only affects a minority of users and only for live use. Unless we can find a solution quickly, this may have to be put back to antiX-Mxx.

For those of you that have been using the various testing isos of antiX-M11 series, you shouldn't have had any problems if you installed or if you are running live.

New change!

I have managed to get the 2.6.36 MEPIS kernel working in live mode with aufs in antiX 686 (there isn't one yet for 486) and so antiX-M11 is likely to ship with that kernel. It will need testing, so in a few days I'll upload the latest iso and a delta patch for testers to give feedback.

Sorry for the delay, but I guarantee that antiX-M11 will be worth the wait!
rokytnji
No hurry Anti. Been already bit by nv in a Sid upgrade in my AntiX 11 Beta 2 test box. Sorted it out by installing nouveau via smxi and using mc in init3 boot to copy my /etc/X11/xorg.conf backup I had with nv in it.

Edited xorg.conf with nano in init3 and changed nv to nouveau and got lucky and fixed it to get to desktop.

Will blow away all M11 test installs when final is out and maybe the 8.5 on the 3 IBMs I have also. (If they boot live __{{emoticon}}__ )

Non of my nvidea embedded chipos are recent though (old stuff)
Cuttlefish
No problem anti. I've been enjoying learning and experimenting.
Thanks for all that you do.

Dave

btw: Great news about the kernel. I've been using 2.6.36-3.dmz.2 liquorix-686 on my lappy. (refurbed hp dv5) I feel that my laptop's performance has been enhanced with that kernel.
Last edited by Cuttlefish on 23 Apr 2011, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
gnomic
Pesky live CD users! Still, probably good to have one which doesn't put potential users off . . . btw porteus also has option to run live which automatically ejects the CD during boot process. This relates to the amount of RAM available, so making the optical drive available is a different exercise for base as opposed to full. Typical Puppies and Porteus 32 bit are <250MB so fit live for many boxen whereas full iso probably needs circa 1G RAM. Maybe some advice around this for the user could be helpful at boot - of course user will have time to read same with longer delay at boot time __{{emoticon}}__ ? Anyway, no need to rush. Better to polish and refine. Since there may be 'dark forces' at work that might like to put antiX down, best to come up with a version that is impervious to the critics as can be. Keep up the good work.
BitJam
The eject CD problem we have is due to the fact that the CD filesystem is reported as busy even though there are no open files on it (as reported by fuser, lsof, and ps) and there are no mounted filesystems on it, as reported by mount and by /proc/mounts. I upgraded to a newer busybox but that didn't solve the problem. There's a whole lot of mounting going on and the code is quite tangled. I haven't tried the newer kernel yet.

I've recently made a change to our linuxrc (which hasn't been released yet) so it doesn't move the ramdisk /cdrom2 mountpoint to /cdrom if /cdrom fails to unmount (which it always does) when"toram" was specified. /cdrom2 contains a copy of everything of interest on /cdrom when"toram" is enabled. This change should let anyone who uses"toram" (from a LiveCD or a LiveUSB) see if they can figure out why the /cdrom filesystem is still busy. I don't know if it is actually busy or if there is a fundamental bug somewhere or if there's a silly bug somewhere or if all the convoluted mountings confused the system.

If you can figure out how to make /cdrom not busy so we can"umount /cdrom" from a LiveCD or LiveUSB you will win a prize. Using the -l (lazy) option does not count because the device stays busy.
masinick
You guys are doing an awesome job! I have an antiX full and an antiX core installed, and I have twiddled with just about every one of the builds so far in either base, full, or core form, so I am comfortable that the majority of the issues are nicely under control, and that you are right on top of the remaining issues. I continue to urge my friends to test. I added another one to the test pool, who unfortunately got frustrated with the video driver issues, hopefully not enough to drive them away, but at least they confirmed what you guys are seeing. On my commodity hardware, I have not had a single issue throughout the entire testing cycle; count me fortunate.

I am patiently, yet eagerly, awaiting the good news so that I can pass it on,