harii
Want to go back using startx much like in m8 -"post install"
but i get an error?
- bash:startx:command not found
i know m8.2 switch to bash but i tried
#!/bin/sh and #!/bin/bash in the .xinitrc file

something changed between m8 to m8.2?
it works in m8?

using the full antix and not the base this time around.

slim is great but i find it not really needed
eriefisher
Try it as root. It may just be a permission issue.
harii
Used sudo startx and as root and it did not worked.
Will use slim and try again next release.

thank you for the help--
it solved a different problem with an"permission issue"
I forget to check into permissions alot
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hmm.
Try (as root) dpkg-reconfigure bash and use it rather than default dash.
gnudude
You can use the command X (capital x) to start the xserver but it is probably not going to provide you with the results you are looking for. __{{emoticon}}__

Instead, you should install the xinit package and then you will have the startx command again.
eriefisher
Good to see you over here dean. I have followed may of your posts on other forums. Great stuff.
gnudude
eriefisher wrote:Good to see you over here dean. I have followed may of your posts on other forums. Great stuff.
__{{emoticon}}__ uh oh....they spotted me.....
macondo
# apt-get install xinit
# reboot
macondo
Don't forget to go to your /etc/inittab and leave this line looking like this:

# The default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault:
macondo
I forgot to mention you have to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst:

timeout 0
#color cyan/blue white/blue
#foreground ffffff
#background 0639a1

#gfxmenu /boot/grub/message
nt351
Thank ye for your work, people who put AntiX together.

Above instructions sounded good until I went home and tried them.

Toshiba Satellite, A110 LapTop, ATI graphics (1280x800):--
After copying from AntiX 8.0"xinit" directory, startx and xinit, killed slim, logged in as root, started X and got IceWm with 150pt font size. Familiar problem, so installed ati.run and font size is normal (I think the same can be accomplished by correcting the lines in xorg.conf pointing to fonts directories)

How to make firehol start at boot, always ?
How to force"passwd" to accept single digit password ?

k7@antix:~$ stardict
stardict: /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by stardict)
stardict: /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by stardict)
stardict: /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/./libstardict.0)
stardict: /usr/lib/./libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/./libstardict.0)
k7@antix:~$

k7@antix:~$ audacity
audacity: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by audacity)
audacity: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by audacity)
audacity: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/libwx_gtk-2.4.so)
audacity: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `CXXABI_1.2' not found (required by /usr/lib/libwx_gtk-2.4.so)
k7@antix:~$

Through the chimney, I recycle plastic, daily.
secipolla
Hi, to enable auto-start in firehol open the Control Center (I'm not in antiX now) and find something like 'Configure Firewall' (maybe in 'System' tab). It will open /etc/firehol.conf and there's a line that says 'start firehol', there you put YES

About libstdc++.so.5, I remember it's something very easy, maybe search (and install) for the package libstdc++5 (it usually comes with version 6).
Hannes Worst
You'll find the Firewall configuration file in the controll-centre in the network-tab. Chose 'manage firewall' and add START_FIREHOL=YES, and than the firewall wil start at boottime.
nt351
Thank ye for your responses.
Now that Firehol is running, what exactly does it do, other than running ? I mean, I started wicd, checked e-mail, came online, nobody asked a question.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
nt351,

Firehol is a frontend for iptables, just as Firestarter, Guarddog are, if you are the technical type, in reality you don't need any frontend, but for the average user iptables is very complex, for example without iptables configured by either yourself or a frontend the state of iptables is this:

Code: Select all

root[/home/bobbylee]#  iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
root[/home/bobbylee]#
If you have firehol running try typing in the terminal as root:
iptables -L

and look at all of the configurations that firehol has established, for an in depth look go here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://firehol.sourceforge.net/"
linktext was:"http://firehol.sourceforge.net/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

and look at the tutorial, and the faq

Basically in linux, as long as you are behind a nat router you are invisible and protected, most people who migrate from Windows are natuarlly parinoid and rightfully so, but as you gain experience and knowledge in linux you will come to understand the need for a software firewall is only comfort food. Really not necessary, and there is a wealth of information about the why's just a google away!

__{{emoticon}}__

cheers,
oldhoghead