topic title: ssh question
Klinggon22
I just ran rkhunter it's giving me a warning about"ssh protocol v1" being allowed. Is this safe and do I need it. If not needed how would I go about disabling it?

Also trying to change my screen resolution to 1024x768 but when I hit save it's telling me
/usr/local/sbin/setxorg script not found and is needed to save settings. How can I go about fixing this.

All help is greatly appreciated.
masinick

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.nersc.gov/nusers/help/access/ssh1to2_user.php"
linktext was:"http://www.nersc.gov/nusers/help/access ... 2_user.php"
====================================
may answer your questions. SSH V1 is a pretty old protocol. SSH V2 has already been around more than five years. Given the recent issues with SSH even with the current code, safety would dictate that you run the newest implementation of SSH that you can possibly use, at least that would be my recommendation - and make sure you watch for any SSH security package updates. Red Hat and Fedora were recently in the news concerning SSH, and in the past year, even the conservative Debian, if I remember correctly, has also been in the news concerning either SSH or in some low level feature that ensures - or was supposed to ensure, proper authentication and protection. Bottom line, get the most current SSH implementation that you can and keep an eye out for updates.
h2
ssh protocol 1 should not be enabled at all in the system, default in Debian is protocol 2 enabled.

See /etc/ssh/sshd_config

look for the this item:
Protocol 2

If protocol 1 is allowed, that's a fairly serious bug, and should be fixed either in Mepis or AntiX
anticapitalista
Site Admin
In antiX, default, neither protocol2 nor 1 is set. The line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config is commented out.

Now whether it should be set to Protocol 2 by default, I don't know. Maybe someone could enlighten me.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:In antiX, default, neither protocol2 nor 1 is set. The line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config is commented out.

Now whether it should be set to Protocol 2 by default, I don't know. Maybe someone could enlighten me.
According to h2, whom I respect, it ought to be Protocol 2. According to my own thoughts, prior to looking around it ought to be SSH 2 as well. Finally, according to the link I provided, they also indicate that SSH 2 ought to be used over SSH 1 and they gave some good reasons why.