topic title: Splashscreen
Hannes Worst
I have made a splashscreen for Antix M.8.0 on my computer. It's still a bit rough but it goes well with the rest of the design of Antix M8.0 (nice work by the way). I use it with fbsplash, because Usplash and Splashy aren't working on my machine. I believe there are more users on this forum that have trouble with the Usplash that is already installed in Antix M8.0. Using fbsplash instead looks like a good solution to me, what do you think? __{{emoticon}}__

Hans
eriefisher
Real nice. Where did you pull fbsplash from?
Hannes Worst
I found it at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://fbsplash.berlios.de"
linktext was:"http://fbsplash.berlios.de"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false. I added 'deb
url was:"ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/fbsplash/debian/splashutils"
linktext was:"ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/fbsplash/debian/splashutils"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false sid contrib' to my /etc/apt/sources.list and installed splashutils (and automatically) miscsplashutils with apt-get. On the website I found the instructions to configure fbsplash further. It's really easy to use and adapt!

Greetings!

Hans
impuwat
Very nice Hannes Worst!

I've been at the early stages of looking at some type of antiX implementation with usplash. The project has been getting complicated with all the restrictions and hoops to jump through with usplash (besides all the ubuntu entanglements).

I feel splash screens are a great way to add to the continuity of the overall presentation but a rolling boot text is invaluable. The Gentoo examples shown under fbsplash documentation illustrate a nice marriage of the two.

I've always loved the graphics with GoblinX as well. They do a good job of creating continuity between the screens and yet with art work that is well above the curve. The challenge with antiX is developing the same type of attractive continuity while at the same time keeping anti's goals intact...small and resource friendly. In that vein I really like what I just saw on fbsplash's wiki...
fbsplash follows a design policy of being simple, lightweight and fast. To reduce bloat, it uses only a few most important libraries and does not require X11. The code is optimized to have minimal impact on boot-up time.
Definitely worth some research.
eriefisher
I just installed it to try it out, and your right, it just works. No hoops to jump through as Impuwat mentioned. Real nice utility.

Maybe the artists here can come up with some themes??? hint,hint.....
OU812
Is this helpful to anyone?

url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/install-a-boot-splash-t357.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/install-a-b ... -t357.html"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

john
Hannes Worst
An own Antix-splash-theme would be great indeed, Eriefisher! And with the settings of the Grub-menu.lst as suggested in the above thread, still wont Usplash get to work on my computer. It can't find the format 1024x768.
impuwat
I got usplash to work but it looked like it would be a bugger to develop art work for. I'm having trouble getting fbsplash to work though....I know I'm just missing something.

I downloaded and installed splashutils (which included the miscsplashutils).

I downloaded a theme and extracted it into /etc/splash.

To my existing /boot/grub/menu.lst...
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.28-2.slh.1-sidux-686
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-2.slh.1-sidux-686 root=UUID=a81b8902-fd65-4656-840f-aef32f62a82b ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-2.slh.1-sidux-686
I added the following...
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.28-2.slh.1-sidux-686
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-2.slh.1-sidux-686 root=UUID=a81b8902-fd65-4656-840f-aef32f62a82b ro splash=silent,fadein,theme:natural_gentoo quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-2.slh.1-sidux-686
Nothing happened. I'm assuming maybe I now need to rebuild initramfs? I'm missing something obvious I'm sure....someone care to enlighten me?
eriefisher
Try a theme with several resolutions built in to it. The original one I had worked perfectly. When I tried another one all I got was a blank screen.
impuwat
The one I tried....natural_gentoo...had a number of resolutions. I will try several others though and report back later. I didn't get a blank screen. I just got the normal rolling boot text. The last time, I noticed several error messages regarding splash so I need to go back and check the log as well. Thanks for the heads up....I will do some more work on the problem.
Hannes Worst
This how my Grub menu.lst looks like with fbsplash:

title Antix
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 splash=silent, fadein, theme:Antix quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 vga=791 resume=/dev/sda3
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot

Notice: vga=791, and I added an extra line at the end of the list. When I leave this out I get the normal rolling boot text.

Next you have to take a look at the file etc/splash/splash and rename and comment out the lines for the theme you want to use.

Then in console you type:

update-initramfs -u

and with it a new initramfs will be created.

This should do the trick
impuwat
That did do the trick! Thanks Hannes Worst.

Now I will take a stab at some artwork. I have some good ideas floating around in my head...if I can just get those into reality __{{emoticon}}__