ceinstaller
Hey all, running into an issue with SpaceFM. I think, anyway. My old Vaio only has a 15GB drive in it, so I picked up a SDHC PCMCIA card reader and a 32GB SDHC card. Put it in and it mounted smoothly. While trying to figure out how to mount it where I want it, I added a label using GParted, no problem. After a reboot, my background went away, and trying to set it via Control Center doesn't work. (Clicking the button does nothing.) Everything else seems to be fine, but I can't figure out how to get it back. Conky is running, but it's background is the blue antix background. Not sure what's going on, it's got me stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

~Mark

Edit:
I'm such an idiot! I renamed the directory that had the background image file. *facepalm*

(Running antixcc.sh from a terminal showed the error.)
dolphin_oracle
ceinstaller wrote:Hey all, running into an issue with SpaceFM. I think, anyway. My old Vaio only has a 15GB drive in it, so I picked up a SDHC PCMCIA card reader and a 32GB SDHC card. Put it in and it mounted smoothly. While trying to figure out how to mount it where I want it, I added a label using GParted, no problem. After a reboot, my background went away, and trying to set it via Control Center doesn't work. (Clicking the button does nothing.) Everything else seems to be fine, but I can't figure out how to get it back. Conky is running, but it's background is the blue antix background. Not sure what's going on, it's got me stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

~Mark

Edit:
I'm such an idiot! I renamed the directory that had the background image file. *facepalm*

(Running antixcc.sh from a terminal showed the error.)
We've all done something like that in the past!

FYI, the is a label and formatting options in the spacefm right click menus. You would right click over a partition>root> and then label or format. This is quicker than firing up gparted, and is my preferred method for formatting my usb sticks these days since I can never remember the formatting commands.
ceinstaller
Thanks D_O! I've used GParted in the past on rescue missions so I just went there first. I've started looking more in SpaceFM, looks like a good tool/program.

Here's another question for everyone. The SDHC card automatically mounts to /media/mmcblk0p1. I'd rather have it mount to Data in my home directory. It sounds like uDev handles this, but I can't seem to figure how to change the mount point. (I went old school and opened up fstab, but it points back to uDev for removable media.)

Any ideas? I tried creating a uDev symlink rule, but it just creates another block device in /dev.

Thanks,

~Mark
dolphin_oracle
udev and udisks handle identification of media. You didn't say what version of antiX you are running (13.2, the 14/15 alpha, whatever) but it sounds like spacefm is handling the mounting of devices for you.

you could just create a symlink to the mount point (ie: /media/mmcblk0p1) in your home folder. the link will be there whether the media is or not, but of course will only work when the media is present. best to use a unique label for the device in this case IMO. That way you don't have to worry about the actually device type changing (sdb1, sdc1, etc...) as long as the label is present, as the device will mount to /media/label.

I actually use symlinks in my home folder to all my data folders, which reside on a separate partition. The home folder on my systems is reserved for settings only, and I use a separate home folder for each installed system, but with the symlinks to the common data partition, its the best of both worlds IMO.

you could also define an entry in fstab for the device. the default mount setup in spacefm is pmount, which will check fstab first before mounting a device and if its present in fstab, will execute a mount command instead to mount your device. At least its supposed to, I haven't tried it.

***edit*** just tried it. this code fstab worked to mount a removable device to a folder called data in home/demo/. Note the device name (sdb2) is static in fstab. If the device is assigned a different device name the fstab entry won't work and the media will mount in /media/label/.

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb2                  /home/demo/data                             auto       noauto,exec,users               0 0#
ceinstaller
D_O for the win! I guess my fstab intuition was correct after all. Thanks for the guidance, SDHC is now mounted in my home directory.

All hail AntiX!

~Mark