topic title: Sound
terrybull
I have been using version 8.5 on my Panasonic CF-27. All works well. I have recently tried to upgrade to the M11 version but the sound does not work now. I am a newbie so can anyone suggest how I can get the sound working please. Thanks
OU812
Hello.

Launch the control center. Click the hardware tab. Click the configure sound system button.

john
rokytnji
I have a Panasonic Cf-48. It's a bit more powerful than your CF-27.

I have found through my years of using AntiX which is based on Debian that Debian drops sound support for older sound cards sometimes. I ran into this back when I had my IBM 390E. Try OU812s suggestion. The worst case senario is that a come back readout is no supported sound card found. If so. Post

Code: Select all

inxi -F
so members can see what sound card your Panasonic uses. I'm on my IBM T23 right now for example.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host biker Kernel 2.6.34-stevo i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop Fluxbox 1.3.1 Distro antiX-M8.5 Marek Edelman 16 February 2010
Machine:   Mobo IBM model 26474MU Bios IBM version 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date 10/18/2006
CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III CPU - M (-UP-) cache 512 KB flags (sse) clocked at 798.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: S3 SuperSavage IX/C SDR X.Org 1.10.2 driver vesa Resolution 1024x768@71.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH Sound: ALSA v: 1.0.22.1
Network:   Card-1 Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver rt61pci 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: edited
           Card-2 Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver e100 
           IF: eth0 state: down speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: edited
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (12.5% used) 1: /dev/hda ST980815A 80.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 6.8G used: 3.0G (47%) fs: ext3 ID:/home size: 11G used: 1.5G (16%) fs: ext3 
           ID:swap-1 size: 1.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: 48.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 4890 
Info:      Processes 85 Uptime 1:27 Memory 188.3/1008.7MB Client Shell inxi 1.7.13 
The

Audio: Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH Sound: ALSA v: 1.0.22.1

Is my souncard on this IBM Laptop. Sound works OK on my Panasonic CF-48 Laptop In AntiX 11 as well also. Though I realize a Panasonic CF-27 might have different hardware than my CF-48. It is the Holidays here so things may be quiet here as hang overs are recuperated from. Image
terrybull
When I try to configure the sound I get a message saying no PnP or pci sound found and the search for legacy drivers says no legacy drivers available. The sound card is detected and is a Yamaha corp YMF 744. It seems that there is a similar problem posted here
no-yamaha-audio-in-m11-fix-t2914.html
I am too much of a newbie to understand how he fixed the problem. Can someone explain to me, a newbie how to fix this please
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Presuming you have antiX installed to hard disk.

Download yamaha.tar.gz to you home username directory from here:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Tarballs/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Tarballs/"
====================================

In rox-filer, right click on the downloaded tarball and extract, extract, quit.

You should have a folder called yamaha with some other files in it.

You now need to move that folder to /lib/firmware

Open a terminal, type su and your root password then

mv yamaha /lib/firmware

Reboot and hopefully sound will be detected.
terrybull
Many thanks for the quick response. I reinstalled 8.5 for the time being but will try with m11 again over the weekend. Could I copy the Yamaha files from the 8.5 version I have installed at the moment from the lib directory to a memory stick and paste these to M11 lib directory. Would that work or is there more to it. Thanks again
anticapitalista
Site Admin
That should work. You will need to paste as admin/root user.
terrybull
Hi again. I have downloaded and extracted the Yamaha dir to my downloads dir. I now need to move it to lib/firmware. I cannot do it as I understand I need to be logged in as root in order to paste to /lib/firmware. I reboot and when I get the login prompt type root and the root password I choose when I installed. It seems like it is going to log me in but I get dumped back to the login screen. I know the root password is definately the one I chose at installation. Where am I going wrong. I can get up a terminal and su and my root password seems to work there. Help.
Thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Login as user, then open a terminal and type sux followed by your root password. Then type rox to open it as root user. Navigate to /lib/firmware and in anothe rox (ok as user) paste the yamaha folder into /lib/firmware.
terrybull
I solved the issue by booting a live CD (puppy 5.1) and used this to get in the hard drive move the Yamaha dir from downloads to lib/firmware. On reboot to antix the sound is up and running __{{emoticon}}__ I will try the instructions in the message above as I am trying to learn what I can about Antix and Linux in general. Problem solved so thanks to those who replied for all their prompt and clear advise.