Sound not working on MSI-laptop

elfje11
Hi,I got an MSI-laptop, a U-270DX
And: not getting any sound on it.
I tried multiple AntiX-versions on this laptop but also no volumeicon is showing.
When I take the USB-stick with Edelweisspiraten on my VAIO-laptop, it is working with volumeicon, no problem but also with the 64 bits testing version of this moment on this MSI-laptop there is no sound, even when I put my logitec headset in the USB (which works on other systems as well) to have a second soundcard.

If I use the mixer with the extra card installed, I get
┌───────────────────────────── /proc/asound/cards ─────────────────────────────┐
│ 0 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic │
│ HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb44000 irq 47 │
│ 1 [Headset ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset │
│ Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:12.0-2, ful│
│ 2 [Generic_1 ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic │
│ HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb40000 irq 16 │
└#######################################################################

What to do to get it working? I can select the other cards and put the volume higher but no sound.

Also:
# volumeicon
volumeicon: alsa_backend.c:88: asound_get_volume: Controletest 'm_elem != ((void *)0)' faalt.
Afgebroken

Any help to get at least the headset (but rather the internal sound card) working appreciated
elfje11
More info on my little system:
inxi -F
System: Host: antiX1 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.2-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13-beta2-pt1_x64-full Ahmad Sami 24 March 2013
Machine: Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-1246 version: REV:1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: E1246AMS.105 date: 10/15/2012
CPU: Dual core AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm)
Clock Speeds: 1: 850.00 MHz 2: 850.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9808
X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@59.9hz, 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310] driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-antix.2-amd64-smp
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 8c:89:a5:06:9b:9c
Card-2: Realtek Device 8723 driver: rtl8723ae
IF: wlan0 state: up speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: 6c:71:d9:02:64:11
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (1.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200BPVT size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 15G used: 2.8G (21%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 38G used: 5.2G (15%) fs: ext4
ID: swap-1 size: 10.70GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.1C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 109 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 138.4/3535.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.34
So it looks that the sound card is found but not selected. How do I select the right card (and leave it default)?
rokytnji
So it looks that the sound card is found but not selected. How do I select the right card (and leave it default)?

Code: Select all

alsamixer
Use the F6 key.
elfje11
Thanks, Well, I tried that (also earlier), but on next start of alsamixer it is back to the device 0 with only sdif.
Tried alsamixer also with su - same result.
rokytnji
The suggestion was to first make sure sound worked after changing chip in alsamixer. Did sound work then?

Changes to stick on reboot go into /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

sux
in terminal to get to root

leafpad /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
to edit the file and save changes. Make a backup of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.confbkup first before editing anything in / or /etc/modprobe.d..
change the default from card 0 to whatever number alsamixer number the sound works on.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA"
linktext was:"http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA"
====================================
elfje11
Thanks for now.
I tried a lot, everytime in alsamixer the sound defaults to the sdif-only output, called 'Generic' and with chip: ATI R6xx HDMI
For me this is still a lot of acadabdra (couldn't imagine how difficult it is for me... maybe extra difficult with my language (Dutch) and lost in translation)
The working card (with speakers / headset) is 'Generic_1' and with chip Realtek ALC269VB

In for example Ekiga (softphone) I can select the soundcard and it works without problems.
But not in mplayer or in the browser.

In etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I changed it so that the USB-soundcard is listed, and if I plug my logitec-headset in, it is defaulting to that card and works also in the browser. But of course I want to use the speakers or a small headset instead of this USB-headset when I'm travelling.

When I use alsamixer, also not on another computer that works well, the browser doesn't change to another device for the sound (realtime) although the levels are changing (including muting) of the selected default-card (0).

I tried a lot but didn't found out so far how to change alsa-base.conf so that device '1' ("Generic_1") is getting device '0' and the other way round.
Tried changing the numbers 1 to 0 and the other way round but no effect.
Maybe a little example could help?

I still feel so green... never to old to learn!
Eino
Check this fix for Debian Wheezy.
The hdmi sound device is conflicting with your sound card.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg29155.html"
linktext was:"http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@l ... 29155.html"
====================================
elfje11
Yes, thanks.
It works now (only no volumeicon).
dolphin_oracle
you may need to specify the sound card you want to work in ~ / .config / volumeicon / volumeicon configuration file. there is a card= line that you may need to change in your case.
Eino
Here is a little cheat to restore the volume icon.
add" ${volumeicon}" before the TEXT line in conkyrc. You may need to turn off then on the conky a on reboot to see it..