Sorry to leave Antix behind...but..

santotomas
I just got my brand new PC back with basic things like 500 GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM included. I had to purchase this one after my 10 year PC gave up the ghost (in which I had used Antix 13.2 stable for about two years with virtually no hitches). My only complaints was that I could never view my Youtube videos for more than 5 minutes and I had problems with the OS recognizing my printer (Canon); so I had to install the printer on my other (really old) Windows machine.

My request from you great folks who have been unsurpassed in helping me is, what distros in Linux basically for a beginner like me can you recommend for my new machine given my new capabilities? This time I do plan on making a partition as I was sold the new PC with Windows 7 Ultimate home edition. This Windows version I'm iffy about and I wanted to be able to access the versatility of Linux. All suggestions are truly welcomed. Thanks to all of you.
dolphin_oracle
well, if you just want to but something a little heavier on your new machine, try MX-15. mepiscommunity.org/mx. all the antiX love, with a full xfce Desktop-Environment sitting on top. Plus a mess of custom tools. I'm not impartial in this choice...check out my videos on the my channel in the MX-Community Videos Playlist.

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/jBr69yNqNLk

after that, linux lite and mint are pretty nice. I even like xubuntu and ubuntu mate edition, but the main 'buntu forums can be a wild west type of place at times. the mepiscommunity forums, in addition to these antix forums, are a smoother experience in my opinion.

and MX-15 runs awesome in liveUSB mode (same as antiX-15), so you can try without installing.

and hey, don't take my word for it. here's a third party review from a pretty tough reviewer.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-15.html"
linktext was:"http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-15.html"
====================================
santotomas
Thank you so much Dolphin! I will check out your recommendations and the review of MX-15, especially in light of the fact that my brand new PC has already had a problem with some kind of virus that got into it - a 651 error as it says. I can't wait to try out MX-15, and someone also suggested xubuntu; it reminds me of why I originally started to explore my alternatives to Windows with Linux. What say you?
Richard
I've always believed that antiX was for making older machines fly,
while MX-Linux is for making newer machines fly. __{{emoticon}}__ IMHO.
santotomas
Dolphin and others,

Please provide the link to the safest, most stablest MX-15 version available. I intend to try it out on a live USB.

Thanks again!
santotomas
BTW, should I go 64bit or 32bit? What would be most advantageous to me?
Jerry
Here is the download page, where you can select the closest server for direct download or use a torrent. If you want to save doing a lengthy update after installation, use the monthly snapshot.

url was:"http://www.mepiscommunity.org/node/67"
linktext was:"http://www.mepiscommunity.org/node/67"

On 32 v 64, you might want to check out our guidance in Section 2.1.2 of
url was:"http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_manual_mx15/mxum.html"
linktext was:"the Users Manual"
ronaldo99
Hi-I also purchased a new laptop recently that had Windows 8.1 preloaded (which I updated to 10).My original plan was to just run Windows,but after using various Linux distros for the past 10 years I just couldnt get back into Windows.I finished up installing Mint xfce which is a great distro particularly if you new laptop has uefi bios.I have also recently set up a dual boot with Antix MX-15 and can confirm that it runs great-wouldnt recommend dual booting MX-15 with windows though.If you are thinking of dual booting with windows I would recommend sticking to Mint or one of the Ubuntus as they are easier to install on a uefi bios with secure boot turned on.
If your new laptop has the Legacy original type bios you will have no problem with either Mint or MX-15
DeepDayze
santotomas wrote:BTW, should I go 64bit or 32bit? What would be most advantageous to me?
For your machine, go with 64 bit as you can then upgrade RAM beyond the 4GB limitation of 32 bit.
LinixLighter
santotomas wrote:Thank you so much Dolphin! I will check out your recommendations and the review of MX-15, especially in light of the fact that my brand new PC has already had a problem with some kind of virus that got into it - a 651 error as it says. I can't wait to try out MX-15, and someone also suggested xubuntu; it reminds me of why I originally started to explore my alternatives to Windows with Linux. What say you?
Relax bro. You aint going anywhere. Burn yourself a Mint Debian V2 and an MX-15. Both will do fine and neither need much'help' if any at all.
I give it 6 weeks and you winbloze partition will be no more unless perhaps you have a bit of super trick proprietary engineer-vid-audio warez which, unfortunately,leave no option.
Chimps like Richard( I hate soap and combs) Stallman will bleat" run it on WINE".
Well. That dawg usually don't hunt. I know. I'm a mechanical engineer. Believe me.I'm Linux from Debian Day One. I would if I could. I never"owned" a machine of my own that was not Debian flavored since 1996. WOW. 20 yearz.
MX-15 rocks. As mentioned early---so do Lite and Minty stuff too.
TonyVanDam
Richard wrote:I've always believed that antiX was for making older machines fly,
Actually, antiX can make newer machines fly faster.
masinick
TonyVanDam wrote:
Richard wrote:I've always believed that antiX was for making older machines fly,
Actually, antiX can make newer machines fly faster.
I agree completely, TonyVanDam! Until this past year, most of the hardware I have owned has been 5-10 years old. My most current PC hardware now is about 1-2 years old - a Dell Inspiron 5558. I have antiX 16, MX-15, Debian (started at 8.0; I think it's updated to the equivalent of 8.6 now), openSUSE 42.1 Leap, Fedora 23, recently changed to Fedora 24, and PCLinuxOS.

Out of these, MX-15 is the most effortless to deal with and perhaps the best overall compromise, if all you need to do are simple tasks like read Email, browse the Web and perform simple tasks. AntiX does these things well too, and caters more to those of us who enjoy experimenting with our systems. IT runs really well on old hardware.

All of these distributions work well on the Inspiron.
Shay
UEFI in new computers, my work around.
Used Win 10 and formatted Fat32

Used Rufus and selected"GPT for EUFI"

Used F12, Booted to the stick!

This Toshiba E45W has a very limited BIOS options.