pjohnson
Hi,

Its been a while since I last posted here as my laptops running AntiX 7.5 are going really well __{{emoticon}}__

However I decided to ditch Windows XP on my Sony Picturebook (PGC-C1MHP) as it was really slow. I bought a new hard drive (250Gb Seagate) and installed AntiX 8, all went well but I'm finding AntiX slow as well. The Picturebook has a Transmeta TM5800 @ 867MHz and 384Mb RAM. It should run most things comfortably but it doesn't, anything I can do about it?

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the AntiX-M8 forum, sorry if I got it wrong.

Cheers,

Peter.
secipolla
Hi, pjohnson. You're thinking it may have something to do with tweaking towards the hardware, right? Like boot options and such. I can't answer since I don't have a pc old like yours and don't understand Linux internals. Maybe the guys that do and know antiX well will have some tip for your case.
Anyway, there a distro called SliTaz that is really lean (it's only 30 MB the iso, boots the fastest I know and is very well put up). They don't have a background like antiX, so if something doesn't work on your machine, it may be more difficult to fix, but if all does work then it'll be very nice.
Also, antiX for antiX, the base version is quite leaner.
pjohnson
Hi secipolla

Yes your right, I was thinking maybe I needed to do something to tweak the system to make it work faster on this machine. I tried SliTaz as you mentioned and it is indeed much quicker, my only problem is getting wireless to work with it. Anyway this isn't a SliTaz forum so I'll consider my options and maybe try a few other things.

Cheers,

Peter.
secipolla
Cheers! Were you running antiX full version? If so you could eventually try the base version. It's nice. Unlike the full version it has fewer options of apps for the same task and you would have to install a video player for instance, if I remember well, but it has a fine look and works equally well.
pjohnson
I was running full AntiX 8, not just the base. I have unfortunately had to give in and re-install Windows XP on this particular PC. Things were not running right in AntiX and I do really need the PC to work. Thanks for the advice, maybe I will try again sometime. I still have AntiX on two other machines so I'm won't be disappearing __{{emoticon}}__

Cheers,

Peter.