Hi_Low
I have been using Antix 12 with rox-fluxbox for a while with very few problems. However, I recently attempted to install ssh. Following the attempt, which was unsuccessful (I don’t recall the error messages as this was 2 months ago) the system seems to be in a “restrictive mode”. When using the GUI to invoke various features (e.g. control centre, system and other system utilities) there is no response to the attempt. When using Iceweasel to reach the internet “server not found” is the response and since I cannot use Control Centre to reconfigure the interface I cannot reach the outside world (manual attempts to reconfigure don’t work either).
Anyone have any suggestions (besides throwing the computer out the window)?
Thanks,
hi_low
thriftee
Is the computer capable of running a newer version? Try it from a USB live first. AntiX is quite good. I loved 13.2 a long time, but really think 16 is even better. That would be my suggestion.
Hi_Low
Thanks thriftee. You are wise indeed. That's probably what will end up happening. Just want to wait and see if any other suggestions come in.
fatmac
I'm with 'thriftee', use a 'live' to back up your data, & reinstall.
Quickest & easiest route, & you'll be up to date. __{{emoticon}}__
KenzoG
If your computer is a bit older it might not be able to boot from USB.
In that case, saving all your files on CD's or a USB-stick could be a (not so pleasant) solution. After that you could possibly reinstall your old AntiX 12, if you so prefer. (AntiX 16 is probably better.)