Skyroz
Hi all. Hoping everything is well with my fellow AntiX users. I've got a problem that may be an easy fix but I can't be too sure.

I tried setting my cursor theme to x-cursor-theme in a variety of different ways. I saw on an old forum post that the way to change it in antiX is to input

Code: Select all

xsetroot <usr/share/icons/moblin/cursors> -right_ptr
And when I input that in my terminal I do not get any errors, however, inputting this command will turn the cursor into an X shaped cursor across all applications. Basically inputting this command warrants a fluxbox restart every time for me __{{emoticon}}__

I've tried setting it in update-alternatives , as well the alternatives configurator, but my cursor still won't change systemwide. Any ideas on this? The cursor I'm trying to use is moblin-cursor-theme from the Jessie repos.
Last edited by Skyroz on 28 Apr 2017, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
edited to redact
"the most unhelpful reply ever"

...and the world turns
Last edited by skidoo on 27 Apr 2017, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Skyroz
@skidoo I opened up lxappearance like you mentioned and Moblin is selectable and chosen as the current default cursor. That's what I used to do it when I first started up the system but from personal experience I know with stuff like themes it's just never that easy. Just didn't happen to know the GUI configurator was called lxappearance. Nothing is working and I still see the stock adaitwa cursor in my terminals, desktop, etc. In fact the only applications the new cursor will show up in are lxappearance itself and Chromium browser.

I would download the tarball of the cursor theme but I've already been using it on another system so I know it's not an issue of a bug... I'm at a loss for what to do. I pretty much applied the moblin cursor theme in with every terminal command and GUI application I possibly could and it still doesn't want to work. I also tried deleting the theme then installing it again and setting it as default again. It wont even change properly to the already preinstalled DMZ cursor themes.
skidoo
My instructions were definitive, and tested.
Your rambling response"...with every terminal command and..." suggests PEBKAC.
It wont even change properly
You are cluelessly"logging in using the root user account"?
If so, there's yer problem.
Last edited by skidoo on 27 Apr 2017, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
[redacted]
Last edited by skidoo on 27 Apr 2017, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Skyroz
skidoo wrote:My instructions were definitive, and tested.
Your rambling response"...with every terminal command and..." suggests PEBKAC.
It wont even change properly
You are cluelessly"logging in using the root user account"?
If so, there's yer problem.
That's gotta be the most unhelpful post I've ever seen. It leaves nothing but questions and no answers.
1. What's pebkac?
2. how was I rambling? I explained how I used 4 different programs including the default lxappearance to change the cursor theme and it didn't work. Like I told you I cannot change to any cursor other than the default one at this point, even if I switch to DMZ-White it doesn't work.
3. Logging in as the root user account? What? so I can just skip past that pesky antiX login screen that explicitly asks for my login and password you mean?

As far as downloading the moblin theme tarball its more trouble than its worth and doesn't fix the underlying improper system behavior that is causing the issue, which if you were listening is the fact that I can't change to any cursor at all, let alone the moblin one, or the moblin tarball which is the exact same thing and a waste of my time to download when its already right here in my lxappearance settings window.
skidoo
skidoo
The"unexpected" behavior of lxappearance you've described suggests that you have logged into a desktop session using"root" as the account login name.

If that's the not the case, maybe someone other than"most unhelpful reply ever" will pitch in to continue troubleshooting.

If you are in fact logging in as root:
Root login to desktop session is _possible_ in antiX, but is unsupported.
(hint: For starters, you'll need to copy missing configs from /etc/skel
and a logged-in-as-root sysadmin is expected to know/understand such)
reverseDog
reverseDog
Just to dabble at another"unhelpful post" ... __{{emoticon}}__

Create the new file /usr/share/icons/moblin/index.theme with the following content:

[Icon Theme]
Name=moblin
Comment=Black cursor theme
Then open up LXAppearance and select the Moblin cursor theme (if you have it already selected, choose any other cursor theme, apply, and then change back to Moblin).

Log out and in again – or, alternatively, restart icewm or jwm (don't know about fluxbox).
Skyroz
reverseDog wrote:Just to dabble at another"unhelpful post" ... __{{emoticon}}__

Create the new file /usr/share/icons/moblin/index.theme with the following content:

[Icon Theme]
Name=moblin
Comment=Black cursor theme
Then open up LXAppearance and select the Moblin cursor theme (if you have it already selected, choose any other cursor theme, apply, and then change back to Moblin).

Log out and in again – or, alternatively, restart icewm or jwm (don't know about fluxbox).
AHA! That did it. Thanks Sherlock Holmes __{{emoticon}}__