kmathern
boombaby wrote:...Now, just so I don't get confused further on this... ...why, exactly, am I touching 'ubuntu.com' for anything in Antix?
Public keyservers are pretty much distro agnostic, the keyserver.ubuntu.com keyserver is just one that I've had good results with speedwise and usually being available.

You can use other keyservers in those commands, for instance the hkp://pgp.mit.edu keyserver

Code: Select all

su -c 'gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 3B07EE13; gpg --armor --export 3B07EE13 | apt-key add - '
dolphin_oracle
the mx/mepis app that does the keys is checkaptgpg , which is installable from the mx repo. You can run the tool and it should bring down the mx repo keys that are required.

here is a direct link to the deb file

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/c/checkaptgpg/checkaptgpg_0.3.1mx150+4_all.deb"
linktext was:"http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/c/c ... +4_all.deb"
====================================
boombaby
WRAP-UP of"NOT AUTHENTICATED" notification in Synaptics (after installing a printer pkg from Printer manuf)

Yes; I was advised and did re-install the"antix_archive_keyring" pkg. That seemed to immediately stop the"NOT AUTHENTICATED" failure notification in Synaptics Pkg Mgr.

[Then I also re-installed the debian_archive_keyring - although, in the wash-up, that might have been unnecessary.]

Unfortunately, the re-install(s) showed up another"error" - a missing key to one of the Repositories. ("Why?", I don't know, but disabling the Repo gave temporary relief, but was not a proper fix.)

For a fix, it seems that I could have used commands to get some key (as recommended by SENIOR Forum Members) but, in ignorance of"meaning" in procedures, I chose some other recommendation as an alternative, simple procedure to download a pkg/cmd"checkdebigpg".

I used GDebi pkg installer to install checkaptgpg.deb

After that, in a terminal I used that cmd... checkaptgpg

Here's the output...

mypcname# checkaptgpg

Checking ftp.au.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_Release
Good GPG signature found.

Checking security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_InRelease

That was it. As you can see the mx Repo wasn't checked. Reason: I hadn't"enabled" the mx Repo within Synaptics, so after"enabling" it, and re-running, here's the output...

mypcname# checkaptgpg

Checking ftp.au.debian.org_debian_dists_jessie_Release

Checking security.debian.org_dists_jessie_updates_InRelease

Checking mx.debian.nz_antix_jessie_dists_jessie_Release
gpg: requesting key 452F0C20 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key 452F0C20: public key"antiX (antix repo) <antix@daveserver.info>" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

Obviously it went to ubuntu.com, just as Dave and kmathern had tried to drive me to do.

[Oops, what was that? Key from.... ...gulp... ..."daveserver". Not"THE Dave", I suppose? (Bright red!)]

Anyway, in Synaptics after clicking Reload it checked the Repo's - failed on some tests, which I think was pretty normal before - and then concluded satisfactorily. So I'm back in the game. Well barracking on the side-lines anyway.

CLI is not much my thing any more because the memory"overhead" can be staggering. The .deb pkg that dolphin_oracle recommended did the job - but in"short-hand". [For many of you, you might say: "Yes; he just used exactly the right turn of phrase". Well, excuse me for breathing!]

Anyway, thanks to all who helped (both here, and in the other LQ forum).

Kind Regards,

aka boombaby
dolphin_oracle
Not only is"daveserver" run by"the dave" but kmathern wrote checkaptgpg.

I'm glad you got things resolved.
Dave
I guess there is a mirror under mx.debian.nz for antiX as well? That is not only a mx mirror. ...? This is why I do not like the cropped errors in synaptic.... and was trying to get the terminal commands run.

Strange that you have the antix-archive-keyring package installed yet you were missing the key to the antiX archives also.
I think I am going to try to reproduce that.
boombaby
Hello, The Dave...

This is just an additional comment on the Synaptics Pkg Mgr "held back" stuff, as discussed in earlier posts, and MIGHT be relevant (or not)...

Today I was looking in Synaptics for a program to install. I found something that I thought would be worthwhile. I clicked on it, and selected"install". Synaptics (as often) told me there were other items that it also needed to include in the install. (Didn't count; guess at 7-ish.) I said"OK". (I happened to notice one item subsequently marked for installation was several items below it in the listing.)

Then I double-checked some info about the main pkg/program and decided NOT to install it. Since I knew about the one item nearby, and quickly found another somewhere just above, I UN-checked those too. Unfortunately I forgot the names of all the other pkg/items that were going to be included. [Not so much"forgot", as"hadn't cared, because Synaptics can look after that".] Anyway, I looked through the list several ways (checking for colour/markings) but couldn't find any others.

So I thought the easiest way to stop this, and"prevent" any bungle, was to QUIT Synaptics. Of course, when I did, it barked at me, warning that I would lose stuff that had been selected. I thought, "Great! That's exactly what I want you to do, Synaptics." CLICK!

Then I re-opened Synaptics Pkg Mgr to continue with some installations.

I found some other program, and at the download setup - where Synaptics gives details about the download - I happened to look at (for no particular reason) the number of pkgs"held back" (which is I think the way you describe them). The number was now increased from the number that had been discussed earlier in this thread.

So, I now ASSUME (something, that often makes a bit of a donkey out of me) that the increase in pkgs held back might be due to the pkgs that I could not locate-and-uncheck, ie the same ones Synaptics said it would drop-on-quit.

This symptom/mismatch of something bigger is only a hunch. I haven't been checking that number particularly, but I'm pretty certain I have not done any installations since the last comments (your comments) about that"peculiarity" - and, therefore, conclude that the increase is due to today's episode.

Dave, I also want to draw your attention to comments I made in the Mageia forum a loooong time ago about their software updater (which is Synaptics-based too, isn't it?).

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10571&p=61228&hilit=swivel#p61228"
linktext was:"https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic. ... vel#p61228"
====================================

Despite initial help from that forum's Member(s) I never got a worthwhile conclusion. (I am NOT complaining because I think it was my first post - ever - so perhaps I didn't explain things well enough.) So I cannot really tell if info in the two threads/events are really related - but they could be.

The essence of that dialogue was:- just by clicking the little"swivels" in the download notification box (ie to open-out the"details") I was getting"update" notices - when I had NOT"checked" anything to update. I mention this because it seems to be in the same area of"oddity" that we are discussing.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Regards,
aka boombaby