greyowl
I am considering antiX for my Dell Latitude D600 laptop with 1.5 GB of RAM and 20 GB Hard Drive. I tried the live USB of antiX and am impressed that it doesn't over tax the CPU or RAM. Disappointed that the wireless doesn't work on the live USB.

However, I am concerned about my small hard drive. Approximately, how much space would antiX take on the hard drive?

Would it be very difficult to get the wireless to work if I installed it?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by greyowl on 28 Aug 2017, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
rust collector
My 16.2 full 64 bit install uses 3.1 gig of space.

Now, the wifi... iIrc, the dell d600 uses the broadcom b43 stuff.

Post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -n
so the clever people can figure out what you have to do
BitJam
The size of the installed system depends on whether you are using core, base, or full. The largest is full and I think it uses about 3 Gig if you don't add much.

I suggest you get the wireless fixed on the live system first before installing. If things get messed up you can start over with a simple reboot. If it works then you can save your changes by doing a live-remaster or an install (changes won't be saved by a frugal install unless you first do a live-remaster). Or if it is simple, you can just write down what you did.

Instead of doing a regular install, you could do a frugal install to an existing partition on your hard drive. One benefit of this is that it uses an existing partition so it can work even if you only have one main partition and it is being used by another OS. The other benefit is it takes up less disk space. Believe it or not, a live frugal system will probably run faster than an installed system but it does have some limitations the installed system doesn't have. This is because the frugal system saves changes to the file system in RAM.

RustCollector beat me to it.
Shay
You are limited to 2 GB of ram.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/latitude-d600"
linktext was:"http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatibl ... itude-d600"
====================================

I use a 5 GB swap and install will be a tad over 3 GB so the 20 will work nicely.

A SSD would speed some things up.
greyowl
Thanks so much for the information and help.
roland
I have Luddite 13.2 installed on an ancient laptop in UK with 1gb ram and a 20gb HD, and it runs very well with a 3gb swap partition. Next time I visit UK I will try it with 16.2 Berta Caceres.
fatmac
With 1.5GB ram, you have just enough to keep Firefox happy. __{{emoticon}}__

I used to have several 1GB machines, but found it best to go to 2GB, but on one laptop I only have 1.5GB, & it runs Firefox OK. Otherwise, you have plenty to run AntiX happily.
greyowl
Thank you for the help.