plvera
Hello:
I'm running vim and using a plugin in to call a statistical program called R from within vim. R runs from a terminal and this plugin calls for an xterm to open, with R running inside it. The plug in runs well, and I'm happy with it and with vim.

The problem is that the plugin just calls for an xterm and in antix that defaults to rxvt which opens up a small window with tiny letters. I would prefer to open a roxterm which is larger and can also cut and paste text.

Is it possible to change the default xterm?

Thanks.

Pedro
Last edited by plvera on 18 Apr 2009, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
eriefisher
As root run:

Code: Select all

#update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator
Select an option and the enter.
plvera
Erie:

Thanks for the help. It turns out that my default is roxterm. However, the plugin code is calling for xterm. I didn't realize that there was a separate xterm command and that the xterm window looks very much like the uxrvt window. So, I need to figure out how (if possible) to modify the script I'm using so that it calls for a roxterm, not xterm.

I'll post in vim and see if I can get an answer.

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
pedro, the prolem is as you say that the plugin calls xterm.
If you can't find a way to change it to roxterm, to make fonts bigger in xterm add this to ~/.Xdefaults

xterm*font: -*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

If you google .Xdefaults you'll find some great ideas
plvera
Anti:

Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly the larger font makes it easier to read.

Pedro
plvera
I decided to be bold and attempt to change the script. So, I changed the line from !xterm -T to !roxterm and now it still works __{{emoticon}}__ and it works like I wanted it with a roxterm window.

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Great, you don't need the -T"R" option.
plvera
Anti,
thanks. I had removed the -T since it was giving an error, but it was still loading up the roxterm. The"R" I figured just titles the terminal. Is that correct or does it do anything else?

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin

18 Apr 2009, 14:49 #9

You are correct. It just titles the terminal.