Rademes
Good Afternoon!
How to set default web Browser in antiX?
I need this, because, after I have installed Google Chrome, almost all programs, which are configured to open hyperlinks in system default browser, open them in Google Chrome, not in Firefox. And I have problems with Google Chrome described
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/google-chrome-does-not-start-properly-t6774.html"
linktext was:"here"
====================================
So how to make, that programs would open hyperlinks in Firefox?
Last edited by Rademes on 22 Jan 2017, 18:55, edited 2 times in total.
skidoo
( This topic probably merits coverage as a FAQ item )
dolphin_oracle wrote:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6748"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6748"
====================================

the"Web Browser" link in the menu is a shortcut to the default browser according to the desktop-session system in antiX.
You can change the preference in Control Center>Preferred Applications.
Rademes, back in July 2015, dolphin_oracle posted a video titled"antiX 15 - Top 5 annoyances (and fixes!)" describing howto

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/L4pnACi6QBA

jump to the 6min mark

Not specific to setting default web browser (but might be relevant to doing so), I'm not certain a"one-stop shopping" solution exists for specifying"default applications" and/or"mimetype handlers". Even after using sudo update-alternatives and tweaking via"galternatives" (available debian package, not preinstalled in antiX) I've found it necessary to individually change"handlers" specified within various individual apps. For instance, after installing a new/preferred text editor, still need to perform the additional step of visiting spacefm preferences & specifying the changed editor therein.
Rademes
Firefox is already set as Preferred browser:
But hyperlinks are still being opened in Chrome. Later I will try another solutions.
Dave
When you find out what is needed to make this work please post your steps and procedures so hopefully I can add them into the default applications app in the control center so it works better in the future.
Rademes
I was able to set the default browser using galternatives package. Looks like Google Chrome acts"Like a BOSS" and sets priority = 200, while Firefox has priority only 70.
Manually selecting Firefox in sections gnome-www-browser and x-www-browser made programs to open hyperlinks using it.
Is it possible to change launching priority in galternatives? For example set to Firefox priority = 300?
reverseDog
Rademes wrote:Is it possible to change launching priority in galternatives? For example set to Firefox priority = 300?
Go to section"x-www-browser" and click on the Add button.
In the adding options set Path = /usr/bin/firefox-esr (or wherever your Firefox binary is located) and select priority = 300. This will overwrite the old priority value.
Rademes
Thank You! Solved!