thriftee
When I add new apps, like Opera or nvidia-settings they don't get added to the menus. I am just running a straightforward install, which defaulted to fluxbox, which works fine.

I just don't want to run it and find out I lose the existing menus if I do. Sorry for the newbie type question, but I figure its better to ask than create a mess and then ask for help cleaning it up. I think I could manually add the things to the menus after I add apps if thats the way I need to do it.
Last edited by thriftee on 18 Sep 2009, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
malanrich
Hi thriftee,

Every install I do with apt-get has, so far, automatically created menu entries in fluxbox. Perhaps it works differently if you're not using apt-get.

The menu configuration tool is so simple, though, that I usually manually change the menu so that the location of the new entry makes sense to me. And I recall some cases where using a menu updater can mess up your own menu configurations (though I think there's a way to prevent that). Still, doing it yourself is so easy I'd do it that way if I were you.
mariel77
I like my apps listed elsewhere in the menu, and so I always edit it manually anyway. It's easy to copy the configuration.
thriftee
I will give a try at editing them... Maybe I'll try saving the current file and generating just to see if it works and what happens. Looks pretty simple to edit, but one more thing to maintain save copies of...
thriftee
I found nvidia-settings on the menu, so maybe its just me not being able to find things late at night, LOL

It seems menus don't change till after a reboot.

I also found out that even though I seem to login to fluxbox, the menus I am using are the icewm menus. I found this when my changes had no effect, but the saw them when I switched temporarily to fluxbox. I then went and changed the icewm menu and after a reboot it worked.