thriftee
Ok, Bitjam, thanks for the instructions. I'll shutdown and move the drive back to the other machine and see if I can get that one (one of my main HP laptop twins) working.

This is really cool, BTW, being able to take the live flash drive from one machine to another, boot and work. Its truly stretching capabilities.
BitJam
thriftee wrote:This is really cool, BTW, being able to take the live flash drive from one machine to another, boot and work. Its truly stretching capabilities.
I'm glad you like it. We keep trying to push what can be done with the live system. We've also tried to make it as easy as possible for people to create their own customized systems, from"F8 Save" to root and home persistence, to remastering and snapshots. Saving machine specific"state files" help us get around what would otherwise be fundamental limitations when two different machines require different configurations.

The faster usb-3 technology really makes the live system a lot more fun. On a fast system I can boot in 5 or 6 seconds and I can remaster in 2 or 3 minutes. Even on very ordinary hardware (with usb-3) I can boot in 10 or 12 seconds. For me, it can still be counter-intuitive when my system is on a little low-profile usb-stick and not part of the computer itself.

You can save things in the ~/LiveUSB-Storage/ directory across reboots even if you don't have any form of persistence enabled. This directory gives the user direct access to the storage available on the live-usb device. If you have a 32-Gig live-usb then moast of those 32-Gig are available in that directory.
thriftee
Thanks for trying to provide a solution.

I tried it and rebooted, but the wifi network was missing. Running modprobe b43 got it running.

Is there a boot log someplace that might provide clues?
dolphin_oracle
You probably need some other support modules unblacklisted. Go.ahead and unblock list all the modules. It's safe since you will only be using the open source driver.
thriftee
Should I blacklist wl?

I blacklisted wl and unblacklisted the b32 etc stuff, and it came up ok, so I guess that fixes it.

Thanks to all, another obstacle has gone down...