taigarden
The upper icon link for Iceweasel in my case, when it starts, always ask to download a bin file. This happens after I tried to fix that link, since for some reason, it had no action associated.
The lower bar Iceweasel icon link works as expected.
I have AntiX 13.1 fully updated up to 13.2 and I run it in 64-bit
Any ideas on how to correct the action for the upper icon link for Iceweasel?
Thank you.
Last edited by taigarden on 26 Oct 2014, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
skidoo
Within iceweasel, if you open the Preferences and choose the"Applications" tab...
that's where you can set (or change) handler for various filetypes.
You changed something there (and can't recall which handler you changed) and apparently that's what caused the new"ask at each startup" behavior?

You've mentioned"bin", but the filename extension may not be the deciding factor;
iceweasel probably matches handler applications based on mimetype (specified in http header by the sending server).

I can't (wouldn't dare) guess whether that"bin" is from mozilla (trying to push an update, or hotfix)
or is an extension attempting to dl its (e.g. AdBlockEdge) subscription blocklist
or is a malware injection attempt.

In your shoes, I would set preferences to"clear session history at shutdown" then perform a clean exit/restart while only a sole tab (about:blank) exits.
Upon restart, if the attempted download persists, my next step(s) would be to disable all my extensions and again restart.
(unticking"automatic updates" in AddonsManager will not prevent retrieval of subscription blacklists)
If d/l attempt still occurs at startup, change prefs and temporarily de-select automatic updates (Preferences}}Advanced}}Network tab).
At this point, if the d/l attempt disappears, hopefully we've ruled out malware and/or misbehaving extension.

To figure out which handler you changed, so that you can undo the change...
hmm, create another iceweasel profile and compare the handler settings in the fresh profile against the current setting in your affected profile.
taigarden
skidoo wrote:
In your shoes, I would set preferences to"clear session history at shutdown" then perform a clean exit/restart while only a sole tab (about:blank) exits.
Upon restart, if the attempted download persists, my next step(s) would be to disable all my extensions and again restart.
(unticking"automatic updates" in AddonsManager will not prevent retrieval of subscription blacklists)
If d/l attempt still occurs at startup, change prefs and temporarily de-select automatic updates (Preferences}}Advanced}}Network tab).
At this point, if the d/l attempt disappears, hopefully we've ruled out malware and/or misbehaving extension.
I applied all that and the situation persists.

This is the information that I get every time that I start Iceweasel, ONLY from the upper icon link:

"Opening Iceweasel
You have chosen to open Iceweasel
That is: BIN file (108 KB)
Would you like to open this file?
Cancel - Save file"

In any of both final options Iceweasel starts in a blank page. If I chose to download the file, it goes to the download folder. If I try again to start Iceweasel and"save file", well, I get a new bin file in the download folder.
taigarden
For the doubt, I downloaded clamav from Synaptic, but so far I haven't figure out how to run it from the terminal, since it doesn't show up in the menu.
fatmac
In IceWM, open the file manager, go to /usr/bin, find the program, iceweasel, then drag it onto your desktop to create a link, (delete the bad one).
fatmac
I expect you have to be 'root' to run clamav. However, try Menu > Update Menu.
dolphin_oracle
i thought I posted a fix for this last nite, but apparently it didn't take.

the icon for iceweasel on the rox desktop doesn't work. doing as fatmac suggested may not work (it didn't for me). You can drag a new link from /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop. Or you can edit the Browser icon to point to /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop it will change the icon, but if you want the original icon back, you can right click on the icon and select File >set icon and use /usr/share/icons/SimplyGrey/scalable/apps/web-browser.svg
taigarden
dolphin_oracle wrote: You can drag a new link from /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop.
I applied that indication and the new icon for Iceweasel in desktop works as expected. I kept the icon from /usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop

Thank you dolphin_oracle, fatmac and skidoo for your posts. I always learn in this Forum.

This thread is SOLVED
rustiguzzi
Thanks from me too. Had this problem with the browser icon since recent iceweasel update and am delighted that it's been solved.