thriftee
This PC has 4 screens connected to 2 nvidia fx 5500 video boards (using the proprietary nvidia driver) and the login window comes up in the middle of all 4, approximately 1/4 of it on each screen, so its difficult to see what I typed or even how many characters I put in. Normally I get it right, but its tricky on the password.

I like that antiX is based on Debian because I already knew how to create another partition via gparted and get the multiple nvidia boards and screens working already, so it wasn't too bad of an install compared to what it might have been. I did need to start with the xdrvr=vesa option on the initial boot and needed to use the proprietary drivers, which I really didn't want to do, and had to go run nvidia-settings from the /usr/bin folder because it didn't get added to the menu after installing via synaptic, but at least all the problems were very minor and surmountable. I was also able to get the java plugin running, too, so all is well.
Last edited by thriftee on 12 Sep 2009, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You wll need to edit /usr/share/slim/themes/antiX/slim.theme file.

Or, if you want you could replace slim login for gdm. (gdm is quite light for an installed system)
thriftee
I edited the file, but I must have goofed, because when I tell it to shutdown, it asks if I want to logout, but then never actually shuts down. The login works fine now, though.

Any guess what I might have done wrong?

PS: I'm going to take it to a terminal and tell it to reboot after I try to undo all the changes expect the user name and password ones
thriftee
I think I have the theme set pretty well, at 25% instead of 50% on x and y axis, but it still wont reboot unless I go to a terminal and type reboot as root.

Any ideas?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Check your /etc/sudoers file has these lines.

%users ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/halt

%users ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot
thriftee
They all looked good. I have been using the menu that was installed by default from the CD iso
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"ftp://ftp.ukc.mirrorservice.org/sites/mepis.org/released/antix/antiX-M8.2.iso"
linktext was:"ftp://ftp.ukc.mirrorservice.org/sites/m ... X-M8.2.iso"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false . I just happened to notice a little red ball icon on the status bar, and it has a shutdown option that works. I will have to try its other suspend and hibernate options as its a PITA to have to power up and down daily.
thriftee
The suspend and hibernate didn't work, but I suspect that is because the motherboard is too old (from 1998, I think). No big deal. Its doing well for its age.

Can you tell me if Iceweasel is the fastest browser available that will allow a java plugin? The place I really notice where performance suffers is with the browser. I don't know how to test if the slowness is being caused by my ethernet card or my net connection. I would say is not the net connection because the other machines connected to the same switch don't have a big delay browsing.

The machine was once the fastest you could buy when it was new, Supermicro Dual Pentium III 750s with 2 gb RAM and dual 10,000 RPM Ultra SCSI drives off a built-in Adaptec controller, basically a server mb, but by today's standards running java applications it is not very fast.

btw, antiX is the fastest"good" linux I've found to run on it.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Many will swear that opera is better, faster and lighter than iceweasel, particularly the latest version 10.
You may want to try midori (in the sid/unstable repos)