Thomas_47
I've installed antiX-M8.5-686 to my HD without any problems. When I attempted to update the installed packages using Synaptic the process halted and Synaptic says the libc6 package is broken. Attempting to repair it in Synaptic results in a"Bus error" and failure. I then tried apt-get install -f in a terminal window as suggested in the Synaptic documentation as shown below:

-------------------------

root@(none):/home/thomas# apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libc6-i686
The following packages will be upgraded:
libc6-i686
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 545 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/1200kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.3kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG ="en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Setting up libc6 (2.11.2-2) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
Checking init scripts...

Restarting services possibly affected by the upgrade:
cups: restarting...done.
cron: restarting...done.

Services restarted successfully.
Bus error
dpkg: error processing libc6 (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 135
Errors were encountered while processing:
libc6
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

-------------------------

It still shows the"Bus error" I got with Synaptic. I don't know if setting LANGUAGE and LC_ALL referred to above will help (and if so how to do that) or if I'm using the wrong apt-get syntax. I also noticed in Synaptic that several repositories are already selected. Is that okay or should only one be active?

Aside from this problem I really like antiX so far and would like to finish making the installed packages current.

My thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Tom
Last edited by Thomas_47 on 04 Aug 2010, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I gues the cause is that wicd-daemon failed to install originally and so the apps didn't get upgraded.

Try these steps.

In a root terminal.

1. adduser demo (this should fix wicd problems) or if you don't nedd wicd apt-get purge wicd

2. To fix perl locale errors. Obviouslu use your language.
export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
dpkg-reconfigure locales

3. apt-get -f install (This should install all your upgraded apps)

4. Delete contents of/etc/apt.conf and /etc/apt/preferences.

5. Upgrade all apps
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

If there are any strange messages, post.
Thomas_47
anticapitalista,

Thank you for replying.

There were no"strange messages," but the system became unresponsive. Here's what I did in a root terminal:

1. adduser demo - seemed to complete normally.

2. No apparent problems with these commands.

3. apt-get -f install - returned all zeros for the results; 0 packages installed, 0 upgraded, etc. (I can't quote the line exactly because of what happened in step 5.)

4. To delete the directory contents I used the commands:
rm -rf /etc/apt.conf
rm -rf /etc/apt/preferences
There were no messages so I hope those were correct.

5. apt-get update - A lot of files appeared to download very quickly. Then the last line said something like,"reading package lists...98%" and stopped there. I waited for about 3 minutes and then the terminal window disappeared by itself. The mouse pointer still moves but neither the start menu nor any of the kicker panel applications respond.

I shut the machine down with the power button (not recommended but no choice) and restarted. I repeated apt-get -f install and this time everything was zero except for"561 packages not upgraded." Next I re-did the deletions in step 4 and then ran apt-get update. This time it finished. I then ran apt-get dist-upgrade which generated a lot of output of the form"xserver-xorg-..." and then the final line:

"561 upgraded, 64 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

At this point the cursor moved to the beginning of the next line and stayed there. It stayed there about 5 minutes and I still didn't have a command prompt. The machine had frozen again so I powered down and restarted as before and re-ran the apt-get dist-upgrade again with exactly the same result as before. It has been sitting for about 15 minutes now and still no command prompt. The system didn't appear to be frozen this time as I could bring up the legends on the kicker panel icons by mousing over them. But when I clicked on one everything except the mouse pointer stopped responding.

Should I just restart the computer and leave the apt-get dist-upgrade command alone or do I need to do something else to fix things?

I shall appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks again,

Tom
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Firstly post the output of inxi -F so we can see some information about your hardware.

Also post inxi -r so we can see which sources you are using.

If you don't upgrade, is you box working ok? How do/did you connect to the net?
Thomas_47
anticapitalista,

inxi -F yields:

root@(none):/home/thomas# inxi -F
System: Host (none) Kernel 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.5 Marek Edelman 11 April 2010
CPU: Single core Celeron (Mendocino) (UP) cache 128 KB flags (-) bmips 735.53 clocked at 367.456 MHz
Graphics: Card Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 530/620 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter tty res: 80x24 Gfx Data: N/A for root user
Audio: Card Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] driver Sound Fusion CS46xx BusID: 00:06.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network: Card 3Com 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] driver 3c59x at port dc00 BusID: 00:0b.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (5.7% used) 1: /dev/hda WDC WD300BB-00AUA1 30.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 26G used: 1.6G (7%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 2.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 77 Uptime 11 min Memory 99.2/247.7MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.9

inxi -r yields:

root@(none):/home/thomas# inxi -r
Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
linktext was:"http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
====================================
testing main contrib non-free
deb
url was:"http://security.debian.org/"
linktext was:"http://security.debian.org/"
testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb
url was:"http://www.debian-multimedia.org"
linktext was:"http://www.debian-multimedia.org"
testing main non-free
deb
url was:"http://apt.progchild.de"
linktext was:"http://apt.progchild.de"
stable main

My system was working ok before I installed antiX. It originally had Windows 98 and then PCLinuxOS 2007. After installing antiX, the first thing I did was try to upgrade and ran into the problem that started this thread so I don't really know if it would have run alright if I hadn't upgraded. One thing that I've noticed that is new is that every time I restart the computer the HD is absent from CMOS. I need to press F9 to restore the default settings in order for it to show up again. I don't see how antiX could affect CMOS so perhaps this is a coincidental hardware problem? Right now the box is running fine (I'm typing this on it) but if it sits for a while it eventually freezes.

I connect to the net with the ethernet adapter card through a router to my ISP via a fiber optic line.

I hope this information helps and I do appreciate your assistance.

Tom
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I notice there is no host name. Not sure if that will affect anything. Maybe the easiest thing is to re-install and then let it run for a while before doing any upgrades, just to see if it was simply a bad install.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Tom,

I'm in the process of uploading updated versions of antiX-M8.5 so you might want to download the latest when ready (in 6 hours or so). You'll avoid the huge upgrade from when antiX-M8.5 was first released.
rokytnji
Resetting Cmos to detect hardrive and freezes make it sound like the hardrive is on it's way out Thomas_47.

Since you say you had Windows 98 and if it is the original hardrive or a used replacement. You might be looking at replacing it as it is pretty old. I say this as I have some older Laptops I have had to do this with.

You can download and boot up a Ultimate Boot CD and burn it and run it as a live session to check on state of your hardrive. It has the tools in it. I keep one like a wrench in a tool box

url was:"http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/"
linktext was:"http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/"

Good Luck and Happy Trails, Rok
Thomas_47
anticapitalista - Thanks for letting me know. I'll wait for the updated version.

Rok - When I got the machine a couple of years ago the company removed the original 9GB hard drive (they were afraid I might find some proprietary information) and installed what they told me was a new 30GB drive. I'm downloading the Ultimate Boot CD iso now and will check things out. Thanks for the link.

Tom
rokytnji
If hardrive checks out. Blow out dust bunnies in Laptop (remove any access panels) with a can of compressed air also.

CMOS battery might be failing also. It's a cheap fix as it is usually just a small watch battery(couple dollars).
You will have to google your laptop make and model to find out where it is located.

Usually though. When CMOS battery starts failing. Your bios clock will not keep the correct time and one needs to keep resetting time in the bios. Will show wrong month/year sometimes also (over a time).
Thomas_47
Rok -- It was the hard drive. I've replaced it and will try antiX again. Thanks for your help.

anticapitalista -- I've downloaded and installed the updated antiX-M8.5 and so far everything seems to be working well. Unless and until that changes I'm marking this tread"solved." Thanks for all your help and for a great linux distribution.

Tom
rokytnji
Funny you should mention
Rok -- It was the hard drive.
Because after my AntiX 8.5 Full Upgrade Iso install on secondary 40 gig IDE Desktop Hardrive on IBM M41 Wireless Box. I think the Hard Drive on it is starting to go south on me also.

Typing in Login. Typing In Browser searches. There is a General Lag. Not just in AntiX either.
I have 2 Frugal Puppy Installs on that Hardrive also with the same symptoms.

Might have to break out another 40 gig IDE drive and learn how to do the

Code: Select all

dd
command to clone one to the other. Instead of doing a complete reinstall.

url was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/learn-the-dd-command-362506/"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... nd-362506/"