michmanbiker
Greetings,

I am trying to customise my Icewm menus but I am not able to do anything aside from adding or removing existing applications.

I would like to:

- Run file manager with SU
- Launch an application that I installed outside of the repos.

Thanks,

Michel
Last edited by michmanbiker on 11 Jul 2017, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
skidoo
DesktopMenu --} Help --} antiX --} antiX FAQ (html doc)
Within the FAQ, click the"IceWM" link. Page provides customization getting started instructions.

as mentioned in the helpdocs, ControlCenter --} Edit IceWM Settings
provides quick access to edit your"keys","menu", and other configuration files.

Also, check out the DesktopMenu --} Personal --} help video
Last edited by skidoo on 07 Jul 2017, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
michmanbiker
Did that already but the instructions are not very clear. I found a way to alter the general menu structure but edit specific entries.

Thanks,

Michel
skidoo
revised my earlier post to mention the"Personal" feature of the DesktopMenu & related help video

re"instructions not very clear":
For me, examining the existing entries in the menu file, learn by example, was helpful.
skidoo
an application that I installed outside of the repos
It should be automatically detected (and a menu entry added for it) if you create a .desktop launcher for it, and click"UpdateMenu" entry within the desktop menu.
file manager with SU
Toward learning by example:
the autogenerated menu already has an entry for"root terminal"
leafpad /usr/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-applications
(search in file for"root", noquotes)

note: to launch a gui app with elevated permissions, gksu (vs"su") is probably what you want to use.
michmanbiker
Thanks for pointing to the file location. That was helpful!

I had no entry that runs file manager as root but I figured how to do it. The menu entry for file manager has the following command to launch the application:

"prog"File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/32/file-manager.png desktop-defaults-run -fm"

I added -r at the end and now the file manager runs as root

"prog"File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/32/file-manager.png desktop-defaults-run -fm -r"

I am still looking at a way to add a new application menu entry to launch a bin file I downloaded.

Thanks,

Michel
skidoo
way to add a new application menu entry
The"applications (sub)menu" generator follows the
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedesktop.org"
linktext was:"freedesktop.org (aka"XDG")"
====================================
menu specification.

url was:"https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/1.0/apa.html"
linktext was:"https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... 0/apa.html"

It scans certain paths (notably /usr/share/applications and ~/.local/share/applications), parsing the content of .desktop files present therein.

url was:"https://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/"
linktext was:"https://standards.freedesktop.org/deskt ... ec/latest/"

To add a new .desktop launcher, it's probably easier to copy+modify an existing item rather than creating from scratch.
(Reason for this: category"name" must be exact, and not all names are straightforward, e.g. assigning"Network" causes an item to display into"Internet")

Using a file manager, browse to /usr/share/applications and find a .desktop file which you recognize as one which displays to the category where you want your new item to display, and open it in a text editor.
If you don't care about changing the associated icon image, you might edit just the
Name=
Exec=
lines within the .desktop file, then SaveAs ~/.local/share/applications/your-choice-name.desktop
After you perform an"update menu" operation, an entry for the new item will display within the menu.

If you do care about assigning a different icon, you can shop for one in the /user/share/icons/* path.
michmanbiker
Thanks for the info. I tried but to no avail. The chmoded bin file will not launch through that command. I will ultimately find a solution and will let you know.

Michel
thriftee
Try running it from a terminal session first to see if there are any errors/
michmanbiker
The bin works fine from a terminal and from the desktop. I just can't seem to find the right commands to launch it from within the menu.

Thanks,

Michel
michmanbiker
It worked! I just found unetbootin entry in the application menu and it does launch the application.

Thanks to all.

Michel