delix02
Hi all !
After several years using antiX occasionally and without running into maior problems I registered for this forum because I'm facing 2 problems I cannot solve at the moment.
I'm using antiX-17b3 with the sid repo and almost everything works fine.
However, unfortunately and accidentially I"lost" the control centre - most likely by using the apt-get autoremove command. So, when I try to start the control center in the menu, nothing happens. When I start the control center script as root in a terminal I get the following error

** (gtkdialog:6718): ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 490, near token '</vbox>': syntax error

/usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh: Zeile 605: 6718 Trace/Breakpoint ausgelöst gtkdialog --program=ControlCenter

Reinstallation of the control centre and gtkdialog doesn't help.
Any idea, what is missing or wrong with my installation ?
Last edited by delix02 on 10 Oct 2017, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
No. I don't know what is wrong yet. Good place to start maybe is to see if yours matches mine.

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ locate antixcc.sh
/usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh
/usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
/usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.sh.mo
Just a wild guess on my part. I have broken /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh before installing systemd back when I ran AntiX 11. I was running sid repos on it. I learned later on that systemd defaults to using /usr/bin.

Edit: I uploaded my /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh file over here. If you want mine. I am on a fully updated antix 15 system.

Freaking forum takes my link and converts it to code tags. Learning something new everyday here. I guess. So Here is my zipped up file instead.

skidoo
** (gtkdialog:6718): ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 490, near token '</vbox>': syntax error

/usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh: Zeile 605: 6718 Trace/Breakpoint ausgelöst gtkdialog --program=ControlCenter
the error message is exact. In this case, apparently a syntax error (a typo) has snuck into the current version of the antixcc.sh script.
IOW, problem is not due to"autoremove" or whatever.
sid is sid, and we should expect occasional hiccups, right?
When a newer version of the antixcc* package to shows up in the repository, upgrade the package and recheck to verify the problem is resolved.

In the meantime, if you want to DIY fix your copy of antixcc.sh...
sudo geany /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh
scroll to line 490, fix the typo, save the script file, retry the cc launcher in menu to verify the fix.

If you don't/can't find an obvious typo, copy lines 480--500 (or so) and paste here, inside code tags so we can looksee.
~~ we can't guess which version of the script you have ~~ ???antix-cc-full-antix (0.4.12)???
rokytnji
rokytnji
I've edited lines skidoo a bunch of times when I was running Sid. Funny part was. I'd fix one line. Then  new error would throw out a different line error. Once spent all day unsnarling line errors in /usr/local/bin application text files. Missing This } and that |. I am no coder though.
skidoo
delix02
thanks for the answers and suggestions !

I started with the installation of antiX17-b2 and at this time the controll center was working as it should. Then I made several updates and some"cleaning" of my system - that means I removed some programs manually in synaptic and some by using the autoremove option of apt-get. Probably several times before I tried to start the control center again. So I cannot tell exactely at what time and status I lost the control center. At the moment I have control-centre-antiX version 0.6.1 and still get the error given above, however the line with the gtkdialog error is 461 and the breakpoint is in line 626.
lines 459 - 463 of my antixcc.sh script are

[ -e /etc/live/config/save-persist -o -e /etc/live/config/persist-save.conf ]  && persist_save=$(entry \
    $ICONS/palimpsest.png \
   "gksu persist-save &" \
    $"Save root persistence")
the code with all the menu entries and the [/vbox] statements starts with line 504. I removed, for example, the ndiswrapper. Reinstallation of this package didn't help. So I can't see what is missing as I can't see the correlation of the error message and the code lines of the script.
Actually, the first part of the error message comes from gtkdialog, not the antixcc.sh script. So the syntax error should be in line 461 of the gtkdialog source. I'm using version 0.8.3-2mx150+1 of this package and I don't think it is indeed a simple syntax error in this package. It is too old for such a kind of error, it is working on other peoples systems and it cannot explain the behavior of my system before and after the"cleaning" process.

Well, I get stucked.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You probably removed/purged an app that breaks the code in antixcc.sh.
What got purged/removed?
skidoo
comes from gtkdialog, not the antixcc.sh script
gtkdialog : (colon)
the gtkdialog parser is reporting that it encountered a syntax error when parsing antixcc.sh

If you paste to pastebin.com the content of antixcc.sh and share the link, we can compare it to a"known good" copy of the script
BitJam
@delix02, near the very bottom of the script is this line:

#echo"$ControlCenter" 
Make a local copy of antixcc.sh and in that copy change the line to:

echo"$ControlCenter" ; exit
Then run the local version of antixcc.sh to get a copy of the"file" that gtxkdialog uses:

./antixcc.sh > dialog.input
If you pastebin the dialog.input file then we can debug it.   You can also try to edit/debug that file and then run it with:

gtkdialog -f dialog.input
BitJam
I think the problem is an empty <vbox> ... </vbox> that will be created if all of the buttons inside of a vbox are removed.

Filling in an empty vbox with:

<hbox>
<text> <label>blank</label></text>
</hbox>
works here but maybe there is something simpler.

I might be able to create a filter that removes empty vboxes but for now, it might be simpler to add some sort of simple filler like the above in empty vboxes.   I will see if I can fix our code.  Thank you for reporting this.
BitJam
Here is version 02.  It should have no empty vboxes, hboxes, or frames.  It seems to work here but I didn't check to make sure every single button shows up.
BitJam
I think I fixed the edit excludes issue.  I was not able to easily fix the edit bootloader config because this works:

sudo geany -i /live/boot-dev/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
but this doesn't:

gksu geany -i /live/boot-dev/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
(use gksu instead of sudo)

I think this is because part of that path is only readable by root.  This was needed to make the Live-usb-storage feature work on fat-32 live-usbs.  If we don't have an easy fix then I think we should just disable this entry.

I also added a -d (--debug) option which causes the file used by gtkdialog to be printed on the screen and not be run by gtkdialog.
delix02
anticapitalista wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 21:18
You probably removed/purged an app that breaks the code in antixcc.sh.
What got purged/removed?
yes, that's probably the problem.
I'll try to track the changes I made in the logs. Is there any other option to get an info which apps is missing ?
delix02
thanks again for the input.
give me some time to work with your suggestions
delix02
skidoo wrote:
07 Oct 2017, 22:05
comes from gtkdialog, not the antixcc.sh script
gtkdialog : (colon)
the gtkdialog parser is reporting that it encountered a syntax error when parsing antixcc.sh

If you paste to pastebin.com the content of antixcc.sh and share the link, we can compare it to a"known good" copy of the script
the script is an _unchanged_ version of the latest upstream update of the control centre package.