Marv
Posts 0
Marv
I like my drives, actually partitions, to have labels, therefore when i'm doing an install i always format & label the partitions myself before i start the install process.
However, the MX-14 installation wizard insists on formatting the root partition itself, which i understand, but i don't understand why it must delete my label during that format.
Especially since some distro's don't format the root fs they only delete any files on it.

Why doesn't, why can't, the MX-14 install process simply leave any valid fs labels alone?
Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
jdmeaux1952
jdmeaux1952
You may want to go to the MEPIS Community forums for that question,

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/index.php"
linktext was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/index.php"
====================================

I do know that some distros only erase the files on the partition leaving any labels alone. But it does look funny running SolydXK on a partition labeled Handy Linux.
Jerry
It has been posted on the Development Team forum (only visible to Devs) by dolphin_oracle, and is being already discussed.
Marv
Posts 0
Marv
Jerry wrote:It has been posted on the Development Team forum (only visible to Devs) by dolphin_oracle, and is being already discussed.
Dolphin's my hero again __{{emoticon}}__
Many thanks,
Marv
Marv
Posts 0
Marv
jdmeaux1952 wrote:You may want to go to the MEPIS Community forums for that question,

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/index.php"
linktext was:"http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/index.php"
====================================
I will do that, thanks.

For the future, when should i, someone, post here and when in"the MEPIS Community forums", please??

jdmeaux1952 wrote: I do know that some distros only erase the files on the partition leaving any labels alone. But it does look funny running SolydXK on a partition labeled Handy Linux.
However, if that is someone's choice then surely that choice is totally valid.
Besides, forcing users to do things in a particular way, without some valid reason, is very non-Linux. And certainly not in the spirit of Linux, IMHO.
jdmeaux1952
Marv wrote:For the future, when should i, someone, post here and when in"the MEPIS Community forums", please??
Most of the older members go back and forth, since we work with both. A query directed towards a antiX specific problem should be posted here, and those for the MX additions onto the MEPIS forum. But if you post either here, someone will be able to help or at least direct you to the MEPIS thread related.

Am I right, you guys?
dolphin_oracle
@jd - close enough. the mepiscommunity is providing the official forum support for MX, but there is a LOT of cross pollination.
Marv
Posts 0
Marv
jdmeaux1952 wrote: Most of the older members...
Well, i am almost certainly, at the very least, one of the oldest members here
- even though one of the newest too.
< sub-text >
That probably means i'll forget what you've said and also flip between the two, so apologies in advance guys.
< /sub-text >

Thanks to everyone for all their magnificent help & support.

... I'm off to join another forum. Can you guess which one? :duh:

But first i am marking this thread as SOLVED & CLOSED.

< music >
Leaves to the vioces of the kids in Sound of Music singing"Farewell"
< / music >
jdmeaux1952
Marv wrote:
jdmeaux1952 wrote: Most of the older members...
Well, i am almost certainly, at the very least, one of the oldest members here
- even though one of the newest too.
I'm so old my Social Security Number is 1. I'm so old I still use a hammer and chisel to type on my keyboard. I'm so old I remember when the Grand Canyon was a gully. __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__