poorguy
Hello Everyone,

I'm using antiX-17.a3_386-full keerfa and was wanting to know what others use to play DVDs.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated. __{{emoticon}}__

I have used VLC in the past but wonder what else is available.

Thanks.

PoorGuy __{{emoticon}}__
Last edited by poorguy on 12 Jul 2017, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
mpv (on the iso)
poorguy
Hey anticapitalista,

Thanks I will give that a try

PoorGuy __{{emoticon}}__
poorguy
poorguy
Hey anticapitalista,

Tried MPV and VLC and can't get anything to play.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Have you installed libdvdcss2 from the multimedia repo? You need it for commercial dvds. Easiest way to install is via the metapackage-installer- Non-free- Video codecs

If that causes an error, just enable the multimedia repo in etc/apt/sources/debian.list (temporarily) and install libdvdcss2
fatmac
I usually use mplayer, (out of habit).
poorguy
anticapitalista wrote:Have you installed libdvdcss2 from the multimedia repo? You need it for commercial dvds. Easiest way to install is via the metapackage-installer- Non-free- Video codecs

If that causes an error, just enable the multimedia repo in etc/apt/sources/debian.list (temporarily) and install libdvdcss2
Yes one of the first things I do.

It keeps telling me input / output error.
I know my DVD player is working because it will boot OSs I just tried.

Probably my old 2005 Dell doesn't like the new antix 17 kernel.
It isn't my only computer I can live without it.

Thanks.

PoorGuy
wildstar84
Can't help but get in a plug for my shiny new DVD-plugin that I wrote for my Fauxdacious Media Player - my FORK of Audacious that adds video, DVD playing, Tunein.com and iHeartRadio.com station streaming, and many other features. If you like Audacious, you'll love Fauxdacious! https colon slash slash wildstar84.wordpress.com/2017/05/25/fauxdacious-version-3-83-beta3-for-linux-released/ You'll have to install from a tarball, but if you're running latest TESTING repos in Antix / have Audacious installed, you should be able to just uninstall Audacious and run"make install" from the downloaded tarballs and your Audacious configs should remain intact!

PS. ANY help in creating DEB package for Fauxdacious is greatly appreciated!!!
fatmac
Have you checked the output(s) of your DVD player software configuration, especially if you have two sound systems installed, might be trying to use a wrong sound card by default.

Another thing to try is running it from a terminal, if it is missing any libraries, they should show in the terminal output.
poorguy
Hey fatmac,

Not being obstinate, and having two separate sound systems installed I can see where that could affect the audio of the DVD player but how would that affect the video of the DVD player.

I'm beginning to think I'm missing a needed codecs.
I'm about ready to reinstall my antix 17 as I may have gotten a bad install.

Thanks
fatmac
My thought was that sound is easier to figure out than video, if you get sound your drive is being recognised OK, then figure out why there's no picture.

(If you didn't check the md5sum, you may well have a bad download.)
poorguy
I don't know when this appeared in the antix control centre / under Drivers / Install restricted codecs and I did and now I can play my DVDs. __{{emoticon}}__

Super Duper. __{{emoticon}}__

This is the greatest antix as it is just becoming better. __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
Yep, gotta install codecs....

(Sorry for not saying so before, it just comes as a natural thing to do for some of us, & I for one never gave a thought to mentioning it.)

When you said that you thought you might be missing a needed codec, I presumed you'd already installed them. __{{emoticon}}__
figosdev
thank you so much, ive been looking for an alternative to mplayer lately.

mplayer requires samba-libs and im not entirely comfortable with that. i dont claim to know samba that well, i know the difference between client and server, and i cant tell you whether having samba-libs installed these days is something to worry about or not. perhaps not-- i have no use for them and id much rather use a video player without them. mpv is obviously the closest thing to mplayer out there. cheers. p.s. this is a great example of why im on this forum-- to get tips and learn about alternatives like this one (whether alternative packages or distro tricks.)