dpeirce
I'm running Antix M8.2 in Virtualbox 2.2.4 on an Antix M8.2 host. The virtual Antix has been running on debian testing for several months and had survived all the updates just fine until this last one. Wicd, the network manager, broke with an error message which said,"Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface". When it crashed, it took Virtualbox and the host Antix with it. On reboot, the Antix host and Virtualbox were working OK but the guest Antix would not connect to the internet.

Maybe someone else has had this same problem, so:

After some googling, I found several complicated fixes and one simple one: In Synaptic, do a complete removal of wicd and then reinstall wicd from cache. Complete removal - a simple removal won't work. Reboot. It should be working again.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

Linux - because software problems should not cost money.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
dpeirce,

Left click on wicd icon>preferences>External Programs and see which DHCP client is enabled, if automatic, then try either dhcpd or dhclient or if dhcpd is enabled try dhclient or vice-versa, one of those options should get you connected.

cheers,
oldhoghead
dpeirce
OldHoghead, My fix got me going OK, except that I have to do the actual connection manually each time. That just means left click on the icon and then 'connect' in the wicd window. Earlier wicd wouldn't run at all. If there's a way now to make it connect automatically, that would be nice.

In the 'External Programs' window > DHCP client, 'Automatic' is enabled. It does connect, although manually. Will changing make it connect automatically?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

FYI, I hate it when I have to look up acronyms!!
oldhoghead
Site Admin
dpeirce,

Yes, right click on wicd icon, whatever connection is your default should show in the box, look at choose from the networks below: and then check the box Automatically connect to this network.

cheers,
oldhoghead
dpeirce
Hmmnnn.... OK, I right-click on the wicd icon (double screens); it shows 'wired network'; I click on that and it disappears. It doesn't offer a choose networks option.

Then I left-click on the icon and get the wicd window. Under network there's a box which shows 'wired-default' and no other options. Under preferences>general settings, there's an option for automatic reconnection when connection is lost, and it is enabled. Under External Programs, all the automatics are enabled. I don't find anything more about automatic networking.

????

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
oldhoghead
Site Admin

15 Sep 2009, 19:38 #6

Here is a screenshot of my laptop

cheers,
oldhoghead

dpeirce
OK, your wicd is different from mine. Under the menu bar it reads:

Code: Select all

Wired Network
/x/ Use as default profile (overwrites any previous default)
Sorry about the art work :^). That's supposed to be a rectangular box with a down arrow at the right end, and two click buttons to its right.

I'm using wicd 1.6.1-3 which, according to Synaptic, is the latest. Also, I'm using KDE 4.3.1. Dreamlinux is running inside Virtualbox 2.2.4 on an Antix M8.2 host. Dunno why any of that would make a difference but too much info is better than not enough.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas