jdmeaux1952
Greetings from Cajun Country. I just love the way antiX has grown since 13.1 all the way throught testing into antiX-15. And I have been keeping up with it (and MX14), going through testing with the rest of you hard-core. You guys have been doing a marvelous job.

This past week we have been having some nasty wet weather (even for South Louisiana) with lots of lightening strikes in the area and power outages. A couple of days ago my cable modem reset itself to default after several periods of rapid on/off power. I lost a power strip / surge protector (which protected all my equipment) but had to reset-up my modem for my equipment. The only thing I had FORGOT to reset was my laptop. I had changed my SSID on the modem because for some reason it refused to accept what I had been using.

This morning I turned on my laptop and got into antiX-15 to start reading my mail and the forums. It was about 30 minutes into this task when I realized I had not re-ran wicd to change my SSID. AntiX-15 had found the strong wireless signal and automatically had used my password to get into my network. Very interesting!!

What counts is that it works.
rokytnji
Yes. Durable is good. Free and durable ? That is even better.
woodsmoke
hmmmmm

woodsmokedidalotofjugginsmoke
jdmeaux1952
Naturally I would have expected it to NOT CONNECT to the network and waited for me to enter the SSID and password so it could connect. What I wasn't expecting was for it to change the SSID (which I hadn't touched on the laptop in antiX-15) but use the old password (which I kept on the network) so it could connect. Go figure.

I tried an experiment a couple of hours ago. I changed the SSID of my network but not the password. Since my network is the strongest signal in the area, it took the SSID and the same password to connect. Weird!

Was this intentional or have I found a starnge bug?
BitJam
I don' think it is a bug. The ssid is a simple alias for the real bssid (which is the MAC address of the wireless access point). I guess it is sort of like the relationshiip between a domain name (like antix.freeforums.org) and an IP addresss like (192.168.17.23). The ssid is used like a user-friendly shorthand for the bssid. So once the client knows the bssid and the password, it may not care if you change the ssid.

This is related to the fact that hiding your ssid is not a security enhancement.

If your router allows it, try spoofing the wireless MAC address and see what happens.
jdmeaux1952
@BitJam-- thanks for the explanation. It was the MAC address of the router that was being recognized.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"