topic title: slow boot
banshee
hi,
i installed antix8.2 several times in virtualbox and allways run into the same problems:
its boots very slow (several minutes). After that its also quite slow: if i change the wm it takes about a minute till i may make use of the new wm.
How come? As i didnt read about that problem: may i got a bad download?
(I`ll check booting from cd now, but if i recall correct it was the same problem, even with the fast-boot option).

I aint got that problem with 7.5 or with other distros.
thanks for a tip

edit: No, i was wrong, from live-cd it boots normal ( that is fast). Sorry. So the problem is merley how to run 8.2 inside virtualbox.
eriefisher
This could be related to you machine directly. What are the specs? A VM ususally takes a fair bit of ram to run smoothly.
banshee
eriefisher wrote:This could be related to you machine directly. What are the specs? A VM ususally takes a fair bit of ram to run smoothly.
I dont think thats the problem. ram is about 1.5GB in virtualbox, cpu on host is 1.6GH in virtualbox i dont know. As said: with antiX 7.5 i aint got that problem (au contraire __{{emoticon}}__ ). Even kde4 and other"full" environments run faster in vbox. But it might be in 7.5 has been an option to boot with"parameters" for virtualbox at the boot-menu (i`m not sure).
Anyone else running 8 or 8.2 in vbox? Else i`ll put it on an usb-stick.
thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
VB->Settings->System->Acceleration->enable VT.-x-AMD works for me.
banshee
anticapitalista wrote:VB->Settings->System->Acceleration->enable VT.-x-AMD works for me.
ok, i`ll try to modify the settings later and let you know. At least i know now that it should work somehow
(as said: if it comes to worst i`ll put it on a stick and run 7.5 in vbox))
thanks
banshee
no luck; i found the settings you mentioned, but i`m not able to change it (it`s greyed out).
secipolla
Unless you have a cpu that enables hardware virtualisation, like anti proposed, you may have trouble running antiX in VB.
In my pc, antiX crawled rather than ran inside VB but that wasn't really exclusive of it. While some distros and specially Windows ran quite well, sidux, besides being the best live-cd I ever tried, also was impractible. Since I had Ubuntu as host, it may have something to do with both systems trying to use equivalent resources at the same time.
banshee
secipolla wrote:Unless you have a cpu that enables hardware virtualisation, like anti proposed, you may have trouble running antiX in VB.
In my pc, antiX crawled rather than ran inside VB but that wasn't really exclusive of it. While some distros and specially Windows ran quite well, sidux, besides being the best live-cd I ever tried, also was impractible. Since I had Ubuntu as host, it may have something to do with both systems trying to use equivalent resources at the same time.
ok. i think i aint got no hardware-virtualisation-cpu, but how may i find out? (btw: for example sidux is of the ones which run o.k.).