SliTaz

fatmac
I've just come back to the antiX forum to see how things are going, I'm a 'Debian' user, in as much as the base of my distros.
(Crunchbang & AntiX presently on my machines).

Whilst looking about generally through the small distros, I thought I'd give SliTaz a try & was very pleasantly surprised at how good it is. It has its own package management system that you need to get to terms with, but it works well. A very nice little distro in my opinion, but I think it needs a later kernel than the 2.6 used.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I also like SliTaz, especially for running on a usb stick when I only want to do a few things like surf the web and check emails on a work computer that has only windows on it.

Very fast, in my experience faster that Puppy and TinyCore (once apps are added) and faster than antiX-base (not that antiX-base is slow).

They seemed to have slowed down their dev work. I rember regular versions coming out.
fatmac
There are rumours of version 5, but when it will appear is open to speculation; it will be out when it is ready, is the official line, I believe.
Eperbab
Before I've replaced Ubuntu by AntiX as my main, I also tested Slitaz. It used less memory, than AntiX ( 30 MB vs. 40.5 MB , default desktop, minimalist config). The main reasons to reject it were: 1. Small repository & could not install debian packages. 2. The get-skype script failed. 3. No localisation.

We used to chat on skype a few hours a month, saving a lot on phone bills, and I like to have as much packages avalaible, as possible. So I have deleted all non-debian-based distros from the candidate list. If you just need a really lightweight live CD/usb & a browser, then Slitaz is probably the best, in terms of RAM usage.
DeepDayze
I tested slitaz and its great for an older computer with 1GB or less RAM that gets bogged down on the big name distros.