eugen-b
Would it work better from a live USB, different boot process, just figuring?
Dave
If you make a script that contains.
Startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session space-icewm

Make it executable, disable slim, reboot, login to cli and run the script does the desktop load?

You could probably try that as well without the script as well but in a script would make it easier to try in bashrc or make as a service.

I am not quite certain why Samba and apache2 make such issues as every machine I have has Samba installed and at least half apache2.
dolphin_oracle
Dave wrote:If you make a script that contains.
Startx /usr/local/bin/desktop-session space-icewm

Make it executable, disable slim, reboot, login to cli and run the script does the desktop load?

You could probably try that as well without the script as well but in a script would make it easier to try in bashrc or make as a service.

I am not quite certain why Samba and apache2 make such issues as every machine I have has Samba installed and at least half apache2.
thanks for the advice. I really don't think its samba and apache2 per se causing the issue, but rather some kind of timing issue in the boot chain.

the problem is that for some reason on my eeepc, runlevel 5 starts before services in RL 3 and RL4 are finished loading. What I did to fix my issue (right or wrong) is to add a dbus dependency to / etc/inti.d/slim . This worked so well that I went ahead and added a dbus dependency to / etc/init.d/acpi-support as well because that script requires dbus and it was launching before dbus was ready (and spitting out a bunch of error messages).

all of a sudden, my fan seems better and my"special" eeepc keyboard keys are working as well.

autologin now working, using 125 MB of ram with all my services running and the 32 bit default kernel.

**edit** changed title of thread so that people might find it easier later
eugen-b
dolphin_oracle wrote:What I did to fix my issue (right or wrong) is to add a dbus dependency to / etc/inti.d/slim . This worked so well that I went ahead and added a dbus dependency to / etc/init.d/acpi-support as well because that script requires dbus and it was launching before dbus was ready (and spitting out a bunch of error messages).

all of a sudden, my fan seems better and my"special" eeepc keyboard keys are working as well.
Oh, that's very interesting! How do you add a dbus dependency (or any other) to init.d/acpi-support (or any other init.d)? Searching leads to many Ubuntu stuff like here
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions"
linktext was:"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions"
====================================
, but it is diferent than on Debian, isn't it?
dolphin_oracle
eugen-b wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:What I did to fix my issue (right or wrong) is to add a dbus dependency to / etc/inti.d/slim . This worked so well that I went ahead and added a dbus dependency to / etc/init.d/acpi-support as well because that script requires dbus and it was launching before dbus was ready (and spitting out a bunch of error messages).

Oh, that's very interesting! How do you add a dbus dependency (or any other) to init.d/acpi-support (or any other init.d)? Searching leads to many Ubuntu stuff like here
url was:"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions"
linktext was:"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions"
, but it is diferent than on Debian, isn't it?
well, what I did was edit the block at the top of / etc/init.d/acpi-support to add dbus as a required-start

Code: Select all

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          acpi-support
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog dbus
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      1
# Short-Description: Start some power management scripts
### END INIT INFO
and then run as root

update-rc.d acpi-support defaults
I did the same for slim.

I don't really *know* if my fans are better (the seem to be) but the keyboard keys for brightness and wireless enable/disable now work. (note I also have eeepc-acpi-scripts installed, which isn't by default)
dolphin_oracle
dolphin_oracle
getting back to this issue, I found this bug report in the debian system where the report had the same solution I had (ensuring dbus starts before slim).

url was:"https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=705883"
linktext was:"https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=705883"

the file in question is / etc/init.d/slim

In fact, the jessie version of slim does just this:

#!/bin/sh

# Largely adapted from xdm's init script:
# Copyright 1998-2002, 2004, 2005 Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>.
# Copyright 2006 Eugene Konev <ejka@imfi.kspu.ru>

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          slim
# Required-Start:    dbus $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Should-Start:      xfs $named slapd
# Should-Stop:       xfs $named slapd
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start daemon at boot time
# Description:         Debian init script for the SLiM.
### END INIT INFO
so we really should look at this for antiX-15/16. the version of slim in antiX 15 is newer than the jessie version, but the changes have not been made to the init.d script.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Fixed deb will be uploaded soon. Thanks,
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Uploaded to jessie dev (just to see if it is actually ok)

Could someone add dev to the antix.list jessie repo and install latest slim from there.

Lat me know how it went.

It worked without issue on my box.
dolphin_oracle
seems to be fine here (did the upgrade) I've been running my netbook this way for a long time.