SlackelTaz??? Slackel 6.02 OpenBox + SliTaz 5.0r2 Cooking

thriftee
I found a distro called Slackel based on Slackware and Salix, and it had most of the right programs, but wasn't very efficient on memory use.

And I had been playing with this other distro called SliTaz, based on Slackware, which had very low memory requirements partly due to an efficient kernel, but had too many troubles.

So I took the memory efficient kernel and grafted it into the inefficient but reliable Slackel, and after a day of hacking things out of it, I have it using about 50 mb of memory with X and Openbox and Tint2 and even Xscreensaver and Conky running. That's almost, but not quite as good as SliTaz, but it all works. I could probably get another 7 to 10 mb of memory if I as to swap out the OpenBox and Tint2 for JWM. Sometimes Openbox uses 14 or 15 mb. in addition to the Tint2. I also don't like the dynamic pipe menus as they are real slow on a 1ghz P IIIm.

And lo and behold, it can play Youtube video in Midori as well as Seamonkey using the default 11.2 flashplugin. Its eating up disk space though, at 2.5gb, and I can make space, but i can't add any more memory to the old 512mb P IIIm, so if I can make anything work completely on it, I'm a happy camper.

I was just so sick of this poor old thing not being able to play youtube video. To me, that's the end of the machine if it can't play videos. Its not a bad machine at all. You don't want to be compiling on it or anything like that, but its a solid runner that owes me nothing.

I suppose a better question is why can't I play the videos well on the newer software?

Last edited by thriftee on 10 Jan 2015, 00:59, edited 2 times in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin

10 Jan 2015, 00:45 #2

Hey, don;t forget to shrink the images __{{emoticon}}__
thriftee
LOL, you looked too quickly. I had to FIGURE out HOW, LOL. Its pretty easy on that imgur, but I don't understand why I couldn't just get the image that was on MY screen on their site. Anyway, I found that its easy to resize proportionally.

For a relative newbie to linux like me, it was quite a task to get it down to 46mb used with the desktop running Openbox, etc
fatmac
Slickel. __{{emoticon}}__
jdmeaux1952
fatmac wrote:Slickel. __{{emoticon}}__

Slickel.

I like that.