SamK
Today (Oct 19 2012) apt-get update and upgrade was run. This included an upgrade for Simpleburn. Launching Simpleburn from the menu now fails without generating an error message. Launching it from a terminal produces the following:

Code: Select all

which simpleburn
/usr/bin/simpleburn

/usr/bin/simpleburn
bash: /usr/bin/simpleburn: cannot execute binary file
rokytnji
Then if it was me. I would

apt-get remove --purge simpleburn
first and then reinstall in case something went wonkey on upgrade which happens to me from time to time also.
SamK
rokytnji wrote:Then if it was me. I would

apt-get remove --purge simpleburn
Tried that without success, the symptoms remain unchanged.
rokytnji
Ouch. That sux. Then I am kinda lost on that one. The binary file is unchangeable as far as i know. So wait till someone better than me responds I guess.

Edit: for anyone looking at this simpleburn tar.gz (above this sentence). It is from my AntiX 64bit install so the simpleburn bin is 64bit.

Below is my simpleburn bin file from /usr/bin from my AntiX 12 32bit install. It opens simpleburn ok on this 32bit bit AntiX 12 install.

Sorry it took me awhile to get this edited for ya samk.
Last edited by rokytnji on 20 Oct 2012, 07:17, edited 4 times in total.
SamK
Tried the download from rokytnji without success, but as the download is 64bit and the system here is 32bit it is probably not accurate. Building on the idea, a 32bit version was copied from a further system that has not been updated/upgraded. Simpleburn now loads as usual. Seems to point directly towards the newly upgraded Simpleburn binary as the cause of the problem.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Should be fixed in next upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience.
SamK
anticapitalista wrote:Should be fixed in next upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Just wondering if this fix has been made available?

The system in question has no Simpleburn upgrade pending. Simpleburn does load OK but consistently fails to conduct tasks with an unhelpful message that something went wrong.

Copying the simpleburn binary from a virgin (not updated/upgraded) antiX-12 system to the to the failing system restores expected operation so it seems to point to a software rather than hardware issue.