topic title: shutdown
oldhoghead
Site Admin
I am still having intermittent shutdown issues, can not use shutdown from exit menu twice in a row, same for logout, and reboot. I can ctrl-alt-f1 then ctrl-alt-delete to reboot, and ctrl-alt-f1 then su to root slim then halt, don't know if it is just this laptop, but have done a clean reinstall and same issues. Anyone else experience any similar issues?

cheers,
oldhoghead
DJiNN
I've got several instamces of antiX running on several machines, and i can't say that i have noticed that on any of them. But, you did mention that you CTRL-ALT-F1? and i'm assuming that brings up a terminal of some sort? That doesn't work on ANY of the antiX installs i have here. If i press CTRL-ALT-F1, absolutely"Nothing" happens. __{{emoticon}}__

So maybe (Although it sounds kind of strange i'll admit) ...."Some" of the various problems that people encounter (& perhaps not JUST with antiX) are, in some way, almost"machine specific". I ask myself how that can be, but then as i have just said, i cannot"CTRL-ALT-F1" on any of my machines, when there are others here that do & it's not a problem at all???

Or maybe i just need to work on my MoJo!!? LOL!
eriefisher
I have had this issue intermittently on one box. An emachine, and not since I reinstalled lysistrata on it. This box has some flakey hardware and a hard drive craps out on occasionally.

DJiNN
CTL-ALT-F1 is standard on all *nix's I think. How do you drop out into a terminal? It should be F1 to F3 for a terminal F7 for X.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Yes, as far as I know, that is one way to drop to a terminal, works on all debian distros, so far I have had no errors upon reboot, the drive is always checked if there is an improper shutdown. I really would like to solve the issue, problem is when the freeze occurs, the screen goes black and no keys or combination of keys will respond, even skinny elephants fails, probably because of the bios control on this Dell laptop, so only option left is to power off the machine, ergo no error logs. Guess it is just the combination on this particular laptop with this kernel. I have run previous versions with no problems.

cheers
oldhoghead
eriefisher
Try in a terminal sudo halt just to see if it works.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
eriefisher,

Worked the first time, but the second time froze up!

cheers
oldhoghead
eriefisher
???????????????

I know when I the issue the machine would go right down but not actually power off.
DJiNN
eriefisher wrote: DJiNN
CTL-ALT-F1 is standard on all *nix's I think. How do you drop out into a terminal? It should be F1 to F3 for a terminal F7 for X.
I don't..... or i should say, i can't. It's the same for every machine that i've got antiX on, so i just thought it was a fluxbox thing.

I can't get the MOD4 key (Win Key) working, and i can't drop to a terminal. That's why i had such a hard time when using Sidux, and also why, a few weeks ago, i was trying to find out a bit more about xmodmap & how it worked, in the hope that i could find out if there was something i could do about it. Haven't found an answer yet, but i'm still looking. __{{emoticon}}__

I don't have that problem in say, Tiny Me or Xubuntu, or Mint, which is why i just thought it's just something to do with Fluxbox. It's a strange one.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Just wanted to update this thread, I have had an ongoing problem with incomplete shutdown on my Dell 700m laptop, I run various distros, Mepis 7, antiX, upgraded using h2's smxi script, a generic antiX 7.2, Debian Lenny. Only Mepis 7 correctly shutsdown. I have been researching this for a few months trying various cheat codes, really got frustrated with this issue. Finally stumbled upon some bug reports and tried many of the suggestions there, this has so far resolved all of my shutdown issues. My problems seem to be related to the intel driver that replaced the i810 driver.

In my xorg conf I added the the last two lines to:

Section"Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"

Driver"intel"
Option"ForceEnablePipeA""true"

cheers
oldhoghead
Jerry
Great tip for me, thanks, since I have a Dell 700m as well that intermittently (that's the weird part) hangs during shutdown.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Jerry,

Would like to know if it does help, this issue has been bugging me (no pun intended) for months. I really hate the new autoconfig of xorg, seems too controlling to me, like to do my own tweaks.

cheers
oldhoghead
eriefisher
No go on this old PII. It has an onboard ati card though.
mariel77
Jerry wrote:Great tip for me, thanks, since I have a Dell 700m as well that intermittently (that's the weird part) hangs during shutdown.
This is funny; we had an older Dell that wouldn't shut down from Mepis 6.5 sometimes. My daughter figured out it only happened when she used Open Office. The not shutting down started after an oo.org upgrade.
Jerry
Huh! I will definitely keep my eyes open.
h2
I had a problem with failing to shutdown the final step, and installing powersaved fixed it. I'm not sure why, it's some config file I think. The old PII I tried it on doesn't even have those features, but the package did fix it.