topic title: shutdown issues
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anticapitalista,

logging out either to reboot or shutdown results in black screen, and even skinny elephants won't execute shutdown, only alternative is to power off.

Next restart tried to go to a virtual terminal ctrl-alt-f4,f1, etc got a black screen and had to power off.

Restarted and opened root terminal did shutdown -h now and got a normal shutdown.

don't know if these are just my issues or if anyone else are experiencing these issues

cheers
oldhoghead
Last edited by oldhoghead on 09 Apr 2008, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Try logging into icewm desktop and see if the same happens when you logout and then type reboot or halt followed by root password at login screen.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
sorry,

was editing my post at the same time you replied, I have a few chores to take care of, and will try the other suggestions. Will get back here in a few hours.

cheers
oldhoghead
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anti,
tried what you suggested, first time when I ran reboot the computer shut down normally, logged back into icewm then went to logoff and got the black screen again. Tried a couple of more times and could never get back to the logon screen.

cheers,
oldhoghead
Jerry
I am getting a hang shutdown sporadically, goes to black screen and stops. Probably 1 out of 5 times.
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anticapitalista,

Have tried to shutdown using a variety of methods, all have ended in a black screen with no way to shutdown except to power off, I have never had this problem with previous antiX versions, nor have I had this in Mepis 6.0, 6.5 or 7.0, so something is different with this release. Virtual terminals, su then shutdown -h now, halt all end with black screen and no keyboard response. Any ideas? I have perused all the files and scripts to see if I could determine what the issue was, but alas I am drawing a blank. I booted up with vesa and still could not logoff, shutdown, or reboot properly. Logged on to icewm and only got a proper reboot once.

cheers
oldhoghead
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Not sure what the problem is as I don't have this problem on my box.
I read that there may be a problem with mounted drives, usb or whatever that could cause this.

Are you rebooting/logging out/shutting down through the fluxbox menu?

Edit: Maybe your box doesn't like the rox-desktop. Try disabling it in /home/username/.fluxbox/startup file.

#comment out the rox-pinboard part, logout and login to a fluxbox desktop the try a reboot/shut down from the menu.
eriefisher
How old is the box? Do you have ACPI enabled? maybe acpi=force on the boot options line?

eriefisher
oldhoghead
Site Admin
anticapitalista,

well, did some more reading, and should have tried

topcat's solution

I searched for xkill in synaptic and it returned"x11-utils" (which per the package description includes xkill), so I installed it and the one lib dependancy it required, and Logout now works. Things are shaping up nicely.

after installing x11-utilities all is well

shutdown, logout, reboot all perform as expected, I apoligize for the false alarm, still loving antiX it is the fastest and most efficent distro around, makes an old box fly!!!!!

cheers
oldhoghead
Jerry
anti's comment about problems with mounted drives may account for my sporadic problems, which may have come while I was working on the question of how to access the WP side of the laptop (posted earlier).

I'll test that.

Edit: no, that did not reproduce the problem--which BTW seems to have disappeared now.