shortcut (Solved)

deweylovem
How do I create a desktop shortcut in Antix?
Last edited by deweylovem on 23 Sep 2014, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
Which Desktop?

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/dnTwZtHst3E

If using rox desktop. Just drag launcher from /usr/bin in rox file manager to anyplace on desktop. To set icons. Right click file you dragged to desktop and pick set icon. Use the locate command in terminal to find icons.

HTH.
dolphin_oracle
***edit*** roky snuck in ahead of me.

to add:

If you are using the spacefm desktop, then you want to drag/copy the .desktop files for apps found in /usr/share/applications to the spacefm desktop.
deweylovem
I am using rox-icewm. How do I get the launcher into my file manager? Sorry, I am new at this.
dolphin_oracle
Everyone is new at one time or another. and the rox interface isn't like most other desktop interfaces.

If you mean where are the application executables, you just navigate to /usr/bin and drag whatever application executable you want to the desktop. This video, around the 6 minute mark, explains how the rox"pinboard" or desktop works.

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/Stnh4NvzCX0

Lets say you want to put a shortcut to Libreoffice Calc on the desktop. You would use the rox filemanger to navigate to /usr/bin and find localc (the executable for LibreOffice Calc). Then just drag the file to the rox desktop. The link will be made automatically. You'll get a generic icon that you can customize by right-clicking on the new link and choosing to set icon from the"File localc" menu item. There are icons located in various spots in the file system but there are several in /usr/share/pixmaps and
/usr/share/icons.
deweylovem
I am trying to place a web site shortcut on my desktop. I can bookmark it, but cannot drag the bookmark to the desktop.
dolphin_oracle
Ok. so here's how I set up my google.com shortcut.

1. create a link for your browser of choice. for instance, if you are using iceweasel, then drag the iceweasel executable file from /usr/bin to the desktop.

2. Then edit the new link by right-clicking on it and selecting"edit item". add your web site address you want to the arguments line of the property sheet that comes up.

alternatively, you could drag a link for"x-www-browser" from your /usr/bin. this will use the"default" browser to open your website instead of a particular browser.
deweylovem
Thanks for your help! I R-clicked Iceweasel icon and clicked"show location". Then dragged the located icon to the desktop. R-clicked and pasted my web site address in and it works just fine!!
deweylovem
how do I mark this thread as solved?
jdmeaux1952
EDIT your original thread (the first question you posted) and edit the title, marking as SOLVED.