Several issues... on an old Compaq laptop

nailshock
Hi to all...

After ditching XP from this little typewritter of mine -Compaq Presario 1722 - which suprisingly on anti-x and crunchbang as well even played some 720p HD rips... well... here I go:

First off: the sudo pass works perfectly, anything I try to install via deb package installer - turns out givin me 'wrong pass for root'... strange...

Secondly: as an insomniac and a lunatic with short memory I dunno what I did the first time I installed and tried out antix, regarding the GPU inside.
Its an Ati Mobility Radeon with 8MB of ram, the system itself has 256 (supposadly might be upgradable to 1 gig - which I'll get as soon as I can find a reliable source for the RAM, and the CPU is a PIII Mobiliy (of course) runing at 800MHz I believe...
So, regarding the GPU I simply cannot get the right drivers installed properly. At every bootup, I see it fail and that antix is running its 'old' or rather automatic gpu mode. How to install and/or remedy this? Is there a direct sudo command for downloading and installing cuz, as I said the package installer refuses to install the drivers. The ones I found were Xorgs I believe.

And last: for such a low, old spec yet dear to my heart - cuz I use it most for writing - what DAW would you recomend for me to run on it so I can plugin my guitar and record. I think something like Audacity (or is it Audaciuos) will not work, looking for something similar as FL Studio or Reason - and I would need ASIO4All type of a 'plugin' to run things smoothly. Since I still haven't repaired my new old desktop computer...

Recently I acquired an old-ish notebook cooler which, when I get the time will turn into and add-on for this Presario to sit on (replaced the cooler fans added 2 x 120mm more etc..), and then mod the casing and the whole notebook in a 'industrial dieselpunk' style to get the feel of a 'real' typewritter. And I have plenty of those laying around as well... so... It's kinda off-topic but just to mention that I want to speed it up...

Kudos to the makers of this great OS, any help and advice I can give I will, but please pretty please... how to speed up this piece of sh... shy typewritter?

Greets and treats from Croatia.
N.
dolphin_oracle
the root password is not the password that is used for sudo. sudo uses the normal user password. the root password should have been set up during install and is a separate password.

post the result of :

Code: Select all

inxi -F
and let the video gurus see your system report. Hopefully someone can help with your video. I have a sony vaio of similar vintage.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System: Host: (none) Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.3-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX-13_386-full Luddite 01 June 2013
Machine: System: Sony product: PCG-FXA32(UC) version: 01
Mobo: Sony model: Q3-Project version: 1A Bios: Sony version: R0107K5 date: 09/17/2001
CPU: Single core AMD Duron (-UP-) cache: 64 KB flags: (pae sse) clocked at 549.989 MHz 
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x 
X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: ati,mach64 (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@87.0hz 
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
Audio: Card: VIA VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-antix.3-486-smp
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci 
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:11:50:dc:46:66
Card-2: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too 
IF: eth0 state: down mac: 08:00:46:2f:ab:44
Drives: HDD Total Size: 15.1GB (18.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: HITACHI_DK23CA size: 15.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 4.0G used: 2.6G (69%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 24.1C mobo: 23.9C 
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 fan-1: 0 
Info: Processes: 86 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 63.0/500.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.7
rokytnji
Ati Mobility Radeon with 8MB of ram
My IBM A22M has ati. I ended up throwing out the ati driver that sgfxi threw on it and just going with vesa on it.
Less trouble and meda-dri and glx is running fine using vesa.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver#ATI.2FAMD"
linktext was:"But I guess you'll find out"
====================================
how well
url was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Catalyst"
linktext was:"legacy ati works with the new xorg"
your self.

url was:"http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page"
linktext was:"http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page"

Mine would throw me out to slim login the second i hit anything besides urxvt terminal.

YMMV from mine.
How to install and/or remedy this? Is there a direct sudo command for downloading and installing cuz, as I said the package installer refuses to install the drivers. The ones I found were Xorgs I believe.

url was:"http://antix.freeforu ms.org/post29307.html#p29307"
linktext was:"sgfxi is included with AntiX"
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Smxi#sgfxi"
linktext was:"I suggest you read up on the script."
. Like I said. It is already installed. All you need to do is run it.
Hope you don't break it. But a reinstall only takes minutes so no harm no foul for a insomniac. __{{emoticon}}__

BitJam
nailshock wrote: as an insomniac and a lunatic with short memory [...]
You are going to fit right in here.
nailshock
thanks to the bunch of you insomiacs! here is the paste from inxi -F:

$ inxi -F
System: Host: oopsie Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp i686 (32 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7
Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
Machine: System: COMPAQ product: PRESARIO 1722EA 470027-964 v: 0F12
Mobo: COMPAQ model: 0726h v: TBD Bios: Phoenix v: 4.06 date: 05/30/2002
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium III Mobile (-UP-) cache: 512 KB clocked at 1133 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] ATI RV100 LY [Mobility Radeon 7000]
Display Server: X.Org 1.12.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI R100 (RV100 4C59) x86/MMX/SSE NO-TCL DRI2 GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 8.0.5
Audio: Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp
Network: Card: Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver: e100
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:02:a5:9c:7c:2c
Drives: HDD Total Size: 35.5GB (29.5% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HITACHI_DK23DA size: 20.0GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: TF10 size: 15.5GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 18G used: 3.0G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.07GB used: 0.02GB (2%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 83 Uptime: 25 min Memory: 169.2/246.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28

hope this helps to help... and i think i-ll give it another re/install cuz seems that fat32 runs more smoothly when dowloadin torrents for example so i-ll make another partition, see damn downloadin is faster to an usb 1,1 drive than to this HDD. oh well... rock out with ya cocks out! ty in advance,,,
nailshock
sorry to bump but i dont quite get this, am root, am sudoed etc and every hdd partition is mounted:

"E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?"

after trying following out commands in termminal regarding inxi and smxi...

seems like i am gettin somewhere then it hits me with a dumbass error
rokytnji
Use sux, then pasword, then the command after the root prompt shows, instead of sudo.

I never use sudo in my AntiX for years. Just sux. And exit.
nailshock
ty for the 'sux' command idea...\\

fellas and gals... what about the workstation idea? i need to record something cuz i-ll forget my tunes in me head...\
and the damn desktop is getting nowhere back online... seems i need another mobo and regarding that another cpu aswell...
so i am stuck, well not really stuck cuz in a way i love this old piece of sh... shy... laptop...
is there a way to record something via this?
Eino
nailshock wrote:Hi to all...
And last: for such a low, old spec yet dear to my heart - cuz I use it most for writing - what DAW would you recomend for me to run on it so I can plugin my guitar and record. I think something like Audacity (or is it Audaciuos) will not work, looking for something similar as FL Studio or Reason - and I would need ASIO4All type of a 'plugin' to run things smoothly. Since I still haven't repaired my new old desktop computer...
Myself I use Jack, and LMMS for recording , and editing music with anitX. But I don't think it will work well with the low specs you have.
Both qjackctl and LMMS are in the Debian repositories. If you want to give it a try.
nailshock
Eino wrote:
nailshock wrote:Hi to all...
Myself I use Jack, and LMMS for recording , and editing music with anitX. But I don't think it will work well with the low specs you have.
Both qjackctl and LMMS are in the Debian repositories. If you want to give it a try.

Ty... will try it out...

What do you play if I might ask? Anything recorded and online? Soundclouded, mySpaced?
jdmeaux1952
nailshock wrote:Hi.... as an insomniac and a lunatic with short memory....
N.
You are perfect for this forum. I might try writing a message one day and not get it finished until the next. __{{emoticon}}__

JD
Eino
nailshock wrote: What do you play if I might ask? Anything recorded and online? Soundclouded, mySpaced?
I have a portable grand piano I do mostly piano, music, and some other midi music.
Here is my profile on SoundCloud.
url was:"https://soundcloud.com/eino1953"
linktext was:"https://soundcloud.com/eino1953"

I also tutor musical theory, reading music, and the piano. That's what has been keeping me busy lately.