topic title: Samba
dln9
antix 8.5, fluxbox

I am trying to figure out how to have some shared folders on the antix machine be visible to and accessible to other machines on our home network (mix of windows and linux machines). I am able to view the shared folders on the other machines when I'm using the antix machine. But, I can't, for example, go on our Ubuntu machine and even see the antix machine show up.

What must I do on the antix machine to get it to appear on the other machines?

(Also - I forgot what I called the domain when I installed antix - Where do I go to find that, and, can it then be modified at this point?)

Thanks.
secipolla
secipolla
I don't know about SAMBA but the domain should be the second part (after @) in the name that shows at the terminal, e.g. in temp@debian, debian is the machine name (that's the domain, right?). In antiX its usually antiX1, I think. You may find it in /etc/hostname
dln9
Thanks, but I think you're talking about the system name.

I'm thinking about the"Computer domain" that I had to enter during installation. (This is different from the"Computer name" I had to supply on that same screen.) On that same screen, it also asked for the"Samba server for networking workgroup".
plvera
I'm not sure if Mepis Assistant is included in 8.5.
it's still in my system since I'm really running Antix 8 that I upgraded to 8.2 without bothering with the control center chagnes.
At any rate, from control center>Congifure system (brings up the Mepis Assistant tool) and then you can view (and change) domain names.
dln9
Thanks, that worked.

What about how I should be making my antix system"visible" to the other computers on our network?

Here is what I did, it works, but I have a feeling that I took the long way home: I installed the gnome-system-tools package - which is a *huge* package - just so I could get at the shares-administration tool. This tool enabled me to configure my antix setup so that the other computers on our network can now"see" the antix machine and access the appropriate folders.