secipolla
Hi, I'm using Debian/GNOME and in nautilus, besides the eject button for removable media, we have the 'safely remove the device' option that turns off the flash drive for instance. This isn't present in pcmanfm or thunar but I found a script (depends on zenity) that apparently does that. If anyone wants to test, it's at
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://kiyoandkei.blog68.fc2.com/blog-entry-53.html"
linktext was:"http://kiyoandkei.blog68.fc2.com/blog-entry-53.html"
====================================
rokytnji
So basically what I did so far secipolla is in my AntiX 11 Full Iso install on old IBM A22m I made in /home a Safe remove flash directory/folder and inside made a text file named safe remove and copied and pasted the links bash file to the new text file and made it executable right clicking on file safe remove and selecting properties and making it executable.

Haven't tested yet though.
rokytnji
Installed it again on my Amrel rt786ex laptop like I did above secipolla. Transfered some videos to a sandisk cruzer 4 gig usb drive (usb 1.1 so it took freaking hours __{{emoticon}}__ )

Just to show what happens. It asks for password first. After you enter password. It asks which drive you want to remove (for me sdb) . Then opens fie manager as root. I just closed it (file manager). Then are you sure you want to unmount. Which I did. Sandisk light flashed a few times like it was being written to then settled down to a dull glow with a slow flashing.

I ran

Code: Select all

harry@Biker:~$ mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,commit=0)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=5242880,mode=755,size=5242880,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=755,size=10%,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=20%,mode=1777,size=20%,mode=1777)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,mode=0622,gid=5,mode=620,mode=0622)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/harry/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=harry)
just to make sure it was unmounted (that the script works) before unplugging sandisk cruzer since the light does not go completely out.

So I tested it and it works for me. __{{emoticon}}__
secipolla
A bit of manual reading helps.

# udisks --detach /dev/sdb
DeepDayze
secipolla wrote:A bit of manual reading helps.

# udisks --detach /dev/sdb
That command should be executed in the unmount command...maybe a script action?