topic title: Rolling my own
OU812
OK. Here is a screenshot of the lighter version, which is openbox + fbpanel. The volume icon in the tray is volwheel and it's a wonderful app. I'll post a how-to in the tips and tricks section. The apps on the desktop were launched from the menu. Also, as in icewm, osmo launches when you click the clock.

john
OU812
Hmm. I did find some web pages on using pcmanfm and some tweaks to hal or something to get icons on the desktop for removable media. However, some of the links were dead or confusing to me.

I also looked into using idesk, which would be perhaps the best choice. But these pages seem hard to find.

I did find what looks to be a very simple solution using rox. I think rox has much more flexibility than pcmanfm in managing icons, but it's not as easy to use in setting the wallpaper.

Ultimately, I think I'd like to use idesk + nitrogen if I can find the pages I need to setup idesk properly for removable media. In the meantime, I'll experiment with rox. Here's the link I'll try out:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://community.fluxbuntu.org/index.php?topic=246.0"
linktext was:"http://community.fluxbuntu.org/index.php?topic=246.0"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Thanks.

john
OU812
The how-to at the end of the thread worked perfectly. It was the easiest solution to date. The only hitch is that the usb stick took a few seconds to show up on the desktop and the usb hdd took about 30 seconds to show up on the desktop. But it works. And you have to really like rox since if you click the folder icon for the removable drives, rox will launch. So it's a step in the right direction. It would be nice if there was a way to have icons for your partitions as well. Maybe I'll write the author and see what he says.

john
eriefisher
Idesk will display the wallpaper. There is a line in the .conf for background. You could set it up in the control center similar to the way you edit slim to change the background.
OU812
I'd rather not go that route. I'm trying to make things a bit more newbie/user friendly. I took some inspiration from a DW article on Absolute Linux. The author was taken aback by the lack of removable device icons showing up on the desktop. I remembered reading some posts about using rox to get the job done, and so I went from there.

I don't think rox is the way to go even though it is mostly working. The problem is with conky. If you want to have conky on the desktop as well, then you need to use a second wallpaper manager to set the wallpaper so that it shows up as the background to conky. Too bad, I was kinda digging for awhile.

I guess I need to do some more research.

john
eriefisher
Have you considered using xfwm instead of flux or ice or openbox?
harii
Are there any mounting like apps that do not need icons?
Puppy linux i think had an (puppy)pmount or can you use an zenity script?
"termininally incoherent" bog had something on that? (for kde)
You could try gkrellm and not use conky?
It has nice themes and is easy for newbies.

P.S. looks great
bruno
Hi!!!
John, this is really greate!!

I install lxde in a new Antix installation, but in the menu i don't see the acces to all applications, how can i configure it?

(sorry for mi bad english)

by!!
OU812
Bruno - If an app does not appear in the menu then it is missing a .desktop entry. Here is a link to an app that can create the .desktop entries you need.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/desktop-files-t1833.html"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/desktop-files-t1833.html"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

john
pcalvert
LXDE certainly is pretty. Even so, I don't think I'll be able to give up IceWM. I really like the network monitor and the CPU load monitor that are located near the clock on IceWM's panel. I wish I could"transplant" those to other panels, or separate IceWM's panel from IceWM and use it with other window managers.

Phil
OU812
lxpanel has a cpu graph available. I don't know about a network monitor though. I think they tried to build a network app, but last I heard it didn't work.

john