nassausky
Does anyone have experience trying to remaster an Antix 13.2 frugal install to HDD with persistence.

I installed like 3 programs and ran remaster-live and it's showing the linuxfs.new is about 888 Meg while after running mkt to create the ISO, it's showing it's size around 2.1 Gig.

I tried following this thread: post29931.html#p29931
I deviated a bit because I wanted to keep what existed on the 13.2 full which is close to 700 Meg and has X and other nice packages installed. Then I just installed my extra apps and ran the remaster.

Any tips or tricks or pointers how to keep the existing full Antix 13.2 and just add a couple apps and remaster it to under 1 Gig?

Thanks.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
When you create the new-iso, you need to exclude/remove/temporaily move the rootfs and homefs files, otherwise they get included in the building of the iso.
nassausky
OK great, can you give me an example, I'm still a little lost. The instructions didn't mention it.

Edit: Playing around I saw there were 2 .old files in /live/boot-dev/antiX-base/antiX which I guess were getting added to the image. I removed both. I don't know if you can (or would like to) add a note to those instructions that the mkt creates an ISO from that structure and to exclude/remove/temporaily move those 2 .old files or anything the user might have put in there not necessary for the ISO.

New Related Question: The ISO is now 897 Meg still quite a bit larger than the original 13.2 CD size. Is that normal even though I didn't add what seemed to be apps that large. For this first test I just did a apt-get update then added Pithos & Teamviewer (tgz version since that runs easiest by just uncompressing the archive and running).
Last edited by nassausky on 29 Dec 2013, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
To make the iso, in the iso folder, you only need:

linuxfs
initrd.gz
vmlinuz

then mkt
nassausky
Yes thanks got that. I am happy, just thinking I might have done something wrong since I just installed Pithos & Teamviewer (tgz version) and the image is so much larger than the CD.
Eino
This takes some math, but you can make it fit on a CD.
First looks at antiX, and remove any programs you do not use, then makes another ISO.

If it is still too big figure out the compression ratio. Then figure out the total MB that you need to remove uncompressed.
Afterwards figure out what you rally want to part with.
i would show you the math, but my notes are on another machine.

That's how i got this almost perfect.
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/music/"
linktext was:"http://antix.daveserver.info/music/"
====================================
nassausky

29 Dec 2013, 21:13 #7

Thanks I am going to be playing with that the next couple nights.