bbwf
Hi , I run Luddite in live, to ram. If I pick up a bug , I simply reboot my old box and get going again. Does antix have a readonly cheat code that will set my drives and system to" read only"? ( grml has this) I like antix-13, it's a good fit for me and my old box that can only boot from a cd, (no usb boot) Thank You
BitJam
We don't currently have this option. Can you explain a bit more about what it does? Is this for when you mount partitions from within the Live system so they default to being mounted read-only?

I'd be surprised there would be much demand for this. We could easily change our software to have that option but I don't know about file managers such as thunar or spacefm which can also mount partitions.
bbwf
Hi BitJam,
On a live cd you can set or write in a cheat code"read-only" , and maybe toram if you wish. What this does is totally disable access to mount, read, write or even list, the drives on your box.

( I'd be surprised there would be much demand for this. We could easily change our software to have that option but I don't know about file managers such as thunar or spacefm which can also mount partitions.)

ahem....... well, ......... given today's environment, with anybody and everybody crawling into a box, and leaving little surprises and gifts,
one would think a web browser box as such would become Extremely popular.
spaceman
There is no such thing as a cheat code to lockdown an entire operating system. I'm not sure you understand what you're asking for.

Setting up an Internet Kiosk is another question.
ahem....... well, ......... given today's environment, with anybody and everybody crawling into a box, and leaving little surprises and gifts,
one would think a web browser box as such would become Extremely popular.
If it is someone would produce it, Google for it, you may not be on your own. Linux has no viruses or malware detected in the wild. However taking sensible solutions: firewall, properly configured; intrusion detection systems (mostly for servers) see EIDE; reducing the access of system users to sudo and wheel groups. Not having administrative rights prevents users and applications making changes to the filesystem and installing application without making the entire filesystem read only which severely limits the usefulness of a system (that cannot cache setting from one session to another).

Sadly setting up a system for other people to use is a little more complex than entering a cheat code. If it wasn't system admin wouldn't earn a living.

Have fun and remember Google (or DuckDuckGo) is you friend. If you cannot find an answer maybe you're asking the wrong question.
BitJam
There already exists an
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt"
linktext was:"ro kernel boot parameter"
====================================
:

Code: Select all

ro        [KNL] Mount root device read-only on boot
AFAIK, this will have no effect on our Live system. It doesn't make much sense to make the Live root file system read-only (since the write part is in RAM).

By default we don't mount any other partitions on our Live system. Perhaps this is a reasonable compromise.
bbwf
I must correct myself,
The other people do have a writeable live drive, you can infact do apt get update and install leafpad or such,
When attempting to view other drives , those are incognito.......... you can see what I mean if you get that named distribution and boot into 4renx............. I like their root live fs - it's 500 mb. , they seem to be using a bleeding edge kernel.
However, that's it.

I was thinking of you folks doing something similar with:
One desktop, claws-mail rox-filer, conky, leafpad, text browsers and midori or something similar.

I've been using your cd in live ram mode, and I love it,
However it just needs updating.
After I do an apt-get update, it uses way to much of the 200mb root fs, leaving me to reboot the system in no time.

Just a thought

Thanks
BitJam
bbwf wrote:I've been using your cd in live ram mode, and I love it,
However it just needs updating.
After I do an apt-get update, it uses way to much of the 200mb root fs, leaving me to reboot the system in no time.
I'm not certain I understand you correctly but I think we provide tools to help you get through a large update on a live system even if you have limited RAM. You need to run Live from a usb stick or a hard drive (not a LiveCD) and you need space for a root persistence file and a second linuxfs file. We need to be able to write to the live media in order to update the linuxfs file.

Enable root persistence in static mode. This will bypass RAM and save changes directly in the rootfs file on disk. The size is only limited by the size of the rootfs file. Then when you are happy with the results, do a live remaster. This will create a new linuxfs file and will put all of the changes there. On your next boot, the new linuxfs file will be used.

The downside of static root persistence is it is slow since changes are stored on disk and not in RAM. But you only need to use it to get over the update hump. After that you can go back to either dynamic persistence or no persistence.

HTH
bbwf
Thanks for the info, however, That solution is not tight enough for me.
My box doesn't have usb boot.

Objective: A simple updated cd that :
a) is highly secure, preventing anything and everything from crawling into Any other drive, except my live root file system.
b) if a bug is aquired in the live root fs , a simple reboot, and I'm back up and going

If I have to do work, I'll reboot into my installed anti-x 13, I'm tired of reformatting my pristien installed version every time my browser picks up a bug.
I could be wrong........ But I don't ( think) the above solution offers that, I'll have to do more reading and research

C) how about the ability to update, tweak and make my own live cd ?

Thanks
bbwf
This looks like what I'm after

url was:"http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-your-own-live-linux-cd-or-usb-distribution/"
linktext was:"http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-you ... tribution/"
anticapitalista
Site Admin

antiX has had this feature for a while. It is called remaster. Have a look in the FAQ for more information.

BTW which version of antiX are you using?
fatmac
bbwf wrote:This looks like what I'm after

url was:"http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-your-own-live-linux-cd-or-usb-distribution/"
linktext was:"http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-you ... tribution/"
Use the remaster feature, it will be a lot easier than starting from scratch. __{{emoticon}}__
bbwf
Hi,
Running 13.2 full dated 3-1-14

ok, I tried running remaster, from my installed version

pop up window barked:" This script can only be run in a Live usb / hd environment, the live / config directory does not exist."

hmmmmmm,
so just for a further try, I tried rebooting into the live cd, then tried remaster again,

rats, barked the same message
anticapitalista
Site Admin
For installed version, use the snapshot app.
For live use the remaster app. (You will need quite a bit of RAM for this, and/or a lot of patience as it id quite slow)
BitJam
bbwf wrote:Thanks for the info, however, That solution is not tight enough for me.
My box doesn't have usb boot.

I believe we have all of this covered.

You can boot from a LiveCD into a usb stick or hard drive using the"from=usb" or"from=hd" boot options. Just copy the /antiX/linuxfs file to /antiX/linuxfs on a usb stick or a hard drive partition and then use the"from=..." option to boot from it. The latest version of antiX (antiX-14R-alpha-2) will do this for you automatically when you select the"Frugal Install" boot option. Once this is set up the live remaster will work.

The snapshot tool, as described by anticapitalista is another approach. Which one to use depends on what you want to end up with. If you are dead set on burning a new cdrom when you change your system then use snapshot. If you want to avoid that step then what I propose above will be easier and faster.
bbwf
Snapshot - two thumbs up

Thank you