dln9
Now that I have antiX working on a USB flash drive, I have a few questions about how to manage that.

1) In the icewm menu Applications >> System Tools, there are two entries for the lucky backup tool Why? What makes one different from the other?

2) As I make changes to the various files via"Edit IceWM Settings" in the Control Centre, where do those files get saved? Should I be saving them somewhere else in addition in order to preserve what I've done? If so, where? And, why do I need to do that?

3) Do I need to keep the antiX *.iso file in the antiX live partition of the USB flash drive?

4) If I want/need to add/update programs via apt-get or Synaptic, will that work with antiX on a USB flash drive? Where will these changes be"remembered"? I ask because, if I need to reinstall antiX, I want to understand if all those subsequent alterations will be lost, and basically how I should manage that.

5) If there is a new version of antiX, how would I update that on the USB flash drive? Or, do I have to go through the whole process all over again? Would I have to blow away the existing home file? How would I preserve configuration changes I've made, and then apply them to the updated system (if I have to lose the home file in the process of updating to a new version of antiX)?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions, but I need to know how to manage this antiX on a USB flash drive. I have not been able to find a place that addresses these questions, if there is such a place, I'm willing to try reading through that first.
rokytnji
1. I don't do backups on live USBpersistent. Don't have the room.

2. My changes to icewm and conky stick without over thinking it.

3. ?

4. Anti can answer that one.

5. Reinstall. Copy and paste persistent changes to another drive. Reinstall changes. Can't guarantee all changes will work because path to files may change .
anticapitalista
Site Admin
1. One is for user, the other is for root.

2. No need to save elsewhere if using persistence and you make the savings in the user specified at login. They are saved in the user folder in /home.

3. Yes.

4. If you use rootfs=XXX then you can install apps and they will be kept on next reboot. You can then, if you wish, install to hard drive and all chages and new apps should carry over.

5. Unless there are drastic changes (very unlikely) you would simply replace the .iso file for the newer one, and if there is a new kernel the initrd.gz and vmlinuz files as well.
dln9
Thanks guys for the help. I have just some follow up questions to ensure I'm understanding what you wrote.

1) Regarding the two entries for lucky backup, they are both labeled in the icewm menu as"superuser/". If only one of them is for root, then am I correct in assuming that one of them just has a typo in the menu label?

2) My reason for asking in question #2 about where to save the various configuration files is because of this statement near the very top of the icewm winoptions file:"Place your variants in /etc/X11/icewm or in $HOME/.icewm
since modifications to this file will be discarded when you (re)install icewm." I figured it was telling me this for a reason. I do have persistence working, so am I correct in assuming that I don't need to take some additional actions based on this statement in the file?

3) Ok

4) I'm afraid I wasn't clear in my question here. Let's say I installed antiX on the USB flashdrive. Then, using Synaptic, I install acroread (the Adobe Acrobat Reader). Then, a new version of antiX is released and I plan to install that new version. When I install that new version of antiX, will acroread still be okay? Or, will I have to reinstall acroread from Syanptic again? And, if I do have to reinstall acroread from Synaptic again, is there a slick way for antiX to tell me which packages I've installed? Or, do I have to manually record all packages I install as I install them so that I know what to reinstall when I install a new version of antiX?

5) Wow, this is great, it sounds easy, tell me I understand this correctly: To install a new version of antiX, I replace the old version's *.iso file of antiX on the USB flash drive with the new version's *.iso file. Is that right, is it that simple? And, is it true that the existing home partition on the USB flash drive would be unaffected by this operation?

5a) anti, you said that if there is a new kernel, I need to install the new versions of the initrd.gz and vmlinuz files as well. Where would I find them? When I looked at the mirrors to download the *.iso file, I didn't see any options to download just those two files.

5b) I altered the /etc/slim.conf file to deal with a new user that I created. If I install a new version of antiX, I assume that I will have to redo those edits in that file - am I correct? Is it true that, in general, if I make changes to any file *not* in the home partition on the USB flash drive, I need to remember to make those same change in a new version of antiX (assuming those changes still make sense in the new version of antiX)?