dark-D
as you know i'm new to debian and i don't understand why it takes so long to put an app in the repos? pidgin's new version is out from a week or more and i need it because it solves some error that affect me. they modify the source or something? i just want to know for me. thank you very much.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is to keep Debian as stable as possible and the dependant repositories constant with other apps.
You have to be patient.
Source distros are always more up-to-date.
masinick
Also, Debian Stable is WAY behind, focusing on stability. Debian Testing is a bit newer, but also well behind the current state of the art for frequently modified applications. You will find, however, that Debian Sid keeps up well with updates to the most popular applications. I keep a stable system around, just in case the erratic packaging behavior of Sid causes a serious problem, but that actually happens rather infrequently (stuff breaks, but it tends to be quickly fixed too). I have found that by using the smxi script provided by h2, I can get an amazingly useful and very current system with very moderate risk. Still, I keep four computers and numerous distributions available so that I do not get caught by a problem with a networking package that could take an entire distribution offline. That has not happened at all recently, though, and I use both sidux - a very current Debian Sid implementation, and antiX, (with some systems using Testing and others using Sid).
dark-D
one month pasted and still no pidgin in sid __{{emoticon}}__ (
anticapitalista
Site Admin
There is pidgin in sid. It is version 2.4.3-2
anticapitalista
Site Admin
If you want the very latest pidgin, you can get it from the Debian experimental repos.

# Experimental
deb
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
linktext was:"http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false experimental main contrib non-free

apt-get update
apt-get install pidgin

I would then comment out the experimental repos.

Use this at your own risk!
dark-D
i learned english by myself and i write sometimes quick and stupid __{{emoticon}}__
i meant to say that they didn't update to pidgin 2.5.1
ok anti i'll try that and see how it goes.

edit: happy, happy! joy, joy! i now have pidgin 2.5.0 no more annoying errors.
mariel77
@ICE-M: Your English is great!
dark-D
thanks you mariel77. i do my best.
masinick
ICE-M, glad to hear that you were able to find the latest update. Did you end up getting it in Sid or did you find it in Experimental (just out of curiosity)?
dark-D
masinick i found it in Experimental repos. i haved a look in synaptic and i see that it shows me that the latest version is 2.5.0. guess they updated sid too.
masinick
Thanks for the update ICE-M. Hope you have the software that you are looking for now. The version that has been available works sufficiently well for my needs; just curious about what is changing and the current state of the updates. Appreciate your update.