kwabena38
Hello,

Sometimes, I'll only have a browser up and running nothing else, and Conky says my CPU is at 100%, and there seem to be other"hidden" processes running, toggling between 2 and 3 and sometimes 4. Usually, when I'm in my browser and listening to a radio show, it stays down around 2 to 8 % with 1 or 2 process running.

How do i find out what other processes are running? In other words, how do i tell if some malicious software, malware, or adware might be taking over my system? Is this a problem, like in Windows? Everybody says that as long as you are not in ROOT mode, then you are safe. And I'm never in ROOT mode.

But how do I uncover mysterious processes and how do I tell if they're from me, the user, and not from somebody else, via something trojan-horsed in from the Internet?

By the way, the 100% goes away when I reboot. Maybe it's just something I started. But how do I know? How do I get"under the hood," in other words?

Thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
In the menu there is an option called top or htop. This lists the processes being used. If one gets to 100%, then you may need to kill it rather than reboot.
n2j3
Screenshots'r'us:

typical output of htop, 9th column from the left shows CPU usage. You can kill processes by highlighting them (navigate with cursor keys) and pressing F9+Enter.

Note: Root processes require root privileges, so su root before you attempt killing them.